The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cat question... What happened in this pic???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My buddies Kooks cats look like this now. Is this something you would see from a bad tune and high exhaust temps???

Attachments

• Kooks cats.jpg
    Kooks cats.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 146

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Uh Oh...doesn't look melted. Looks more like its collapsed.
I'd get a hold of kooks and show this to them.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
No, it's not melted so it doesn't look to be resultant from a bad tune. But it does appear to have been stressed from improper expansion of the substrate matting. If you shake it, does it rattle? Also is this a fairly new catalytic converter?

2HP

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
No, it's not melted so it doesn't look to be resultant from a bad tune. But it does appear to have been stressed from improper expansion of the substrate matting. If you shake it, does it rattle? Also is this a fairly new catalytic converter?

2HP
Yes its about four months old. We have a race on Sunday so he just gutted them to put things back together asap. Never got around to seeing if the rattled

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

I was going to ask if the car was supercharged, and then saw it is a ZL1. That type of damage is somewhat common on supercharged cars. Basically, the cat collapses. Your friend should consider deleting the cats if he is going to continue tracking the car.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Interesting that there is actually a new Catylitic Comverter breakin procedure. It helps to stabilize the substrate that can fall apart from rapid expansion and contraction. This material holds the catalyst brick in place at the center of the cat. The loose brick causes the rattle.

Glad to hear he is back on the track.

302 Hi Pro

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Fingers crossed, the cats where added to lower the Db.... I sent him a pic of Fabmans Laguna pipes

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Fabman pipe sounds like its for something more organic!!

Haha, not anymore.
When I was at laguna people were taking pictures of it and asking where I got it. One guy dragged me across the paddock to tell his son how I built it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Now that I have my Xpipe off on my Boss, I see that one of my cats is loose and I can actually see it moving around (the cars CAT, not the furry kind). If the cat is at a odd angle, could they cause power loss since the will not be lined up to the exhaust flow??

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Now that I have my Xpipe off on my Boss, I see that one of my cats is loose and I can actually see it moving around (the cars CAT, not the furry kind). If the cat is at a odd angle, could they cause power loss since the will not be lined up to the exhaust flow??

Sounds right to me. Gotta pic of it?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Tempted to get a off road xpipe, but if its only 5 or so hp probably not worth it.... Have a fleet of new cats (the furry ones, fixed and unfixed) to take care of a rabbit invasion. So far only one out of five works, the rest are sponges!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel