The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

cat removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
stubby wrenches, crows foot wrench (and a lot of patience), or lots of extensions from above (a wobble joint helps), someone who's brave, and a lot of luck and penetrating fluid.

This.

Pre-treat the heck out of them with penetrating lube like PB Blaster, then come at them from inside the engine bay (at least for the outer nuts) with a lot of extensions, patience, and prayer. Heat probably wouldn't hurt either.

jfolsom28 said:
tired to get the bolt of from the pas side engine bay and first try striped out. now what hha

You stripped the nut on the bolt? You're gonna need to buy a set of those sockets with the little claws in there to get it out.

To get these bolts off since they require multiple extensions to feed down in the engine bay to get at, I do a couple things. Soak it in PB blaster for a while. Always put your socket on there with the extensions where you think it's good and then HAMMER that MF on there really nice and good. Then try and crack it loose. I have almost stripped one before and Justin f***ing sheared one of his bolts right off the cat with a breaker bar.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jfolsom28 said:
tired to get the bolt of from the pas side engine bay and first try striped out. now what hha

Get an impact socket. I can't remember if they are 13mm or 15mm. If that doesn't work, try to just cut the lil bastard off with a sawzall or dremel w/ cutoff blade.
Other option is to cut the nut down it's side until it breaks, or use a "nut splitter" to do the same thing. Then you should be able to turn it off with a slightly larger socket.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I bought my first nut splitter in 25 years for the same reason. Every bolt and nut on that K-Member is designed for factory assembly while the powertrain is on its cradle. Sure fire way to make things easier is to drop the K member out of the way. Sounds crazy but it's less frustrating.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
best way I can tell you to get that stripped one off is using these
http://www.griptitetools.com/
you want the one that is barely going to fit then hammer the piss out of it till its one then remove. I have done this before and you wont get the nut out of it but it will be off.

best way to get these off is from the top. pb blaster soak then using a breaker bar. impact gun for me did nothing. one of them I had to put a jack handle on the end to get it off (thats the one I sheared off)

TMO Supporting Vendors