The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CCW wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently I went over to CCW and talked to John about their manufacturing process, as you are aware, i'm a big fan of CCW and Phoenix has been using them for years, they are extremely robust, being forged I've even beat some of the barrels back round with a sledge hammer and block of wood when I was in a pinch for wheels.
John has a great product and has done some work for the OEMs and other wheel manufacturers, he also has some future projects in the works that I'm unable to photograph or talk about. CCW also exceeds manufacturers specification by an extremely large amount but in order to not open up a can of worms he asked me to limit discussion on that as well. I can tell you that he's capable of placing extreme loads on specific areas of the wheel to measure resistance to things like curbing (specific points are known in the engineering world as "moments") and the wheel's reaction to it. The measurement standards are incredible...I can tell you that.

There are currently three general types of wheels out there, cast, rotary forged and forged, each type has an application and as long as you don't exceed the design specifications of that particular wheel you will be fine. To sort of give you a guide to the types, think of cast as "particle board" and forged as an "oak block" that will give you some idea of the difference in wheels. The "rotary forged" wheels use a forged barrel (the round rim) with a cast center, as far as CCW is concerned they should be treated the same as cast style wheels. Another difference is that forgings will tend to crack or deform and give the driver some warning, cast wheels, or cast centers, can fail catastrophically. I have witnessed this first hand when one of our mustangs came in with hairline cracks after hitting several curbs (Sebring..really?!) we were able to change out the wheel. Still, it pays to inspect the wheels after every race to insure there are no problems.

CCW wheels are relatively heavy, they can be made lighter simply by machining more materiel out of the wheel, but this would then make them weaker. As an example of the kind of expectation for a modern race wheel , consider this. A wheel built in the 90s had to work with a 1G loading, which was fairly common back then, now days cars are approaching 2Gs which means the wheel loading has increased 4 times (load increases exponentially), add the camber that most competition cars run today and you will find the inside of the wheel being excessively loaded, this is one reason why it is important to measure specific "moments" on the wheel during quality control tests. Add to this aero loading and the load goes up even more. This is one of the considerations behind CCW's "hybrid" wheel.

these are just a few of the wheels that were used in quality control tests at CCW.

LeeFmAZl.jpg

CCW wheels are forged at a mill to a specification written by CCW, this spec requires the forging to be created in an 8 thousand TON press. When they come off the press they have sort of a "sterling silver" appearance.

Newly arrived forgings for CCW

2AG7NyWl.jpg

CCW quality control checks are done at every level of the process. CCW produces about 400 wheels per month, an OEM will produce 4 thousand in a day so they pull randomly from the production line. CCW qualifies every wheel at every level of manufacture.

Here the machining process starts using the blanks in the foreground.

1FWVWTfl.jpg

Just a few of the many machine tools at CCW

1Eh3NRCl.jpg

This wheel has received it's primary machining, a quality control check and is ready for the next process.

AuXOPKvl.jpg

In this case the wheel is going to be one of CCWs new "hybrid" wheels, which will incorporate the best attributes from their forged wheels mated with a modular style outer wheel rim.

387MvS2l.jpg

The wheel parts are stored in this room

Iiwxq3El.jpg

and a close up of the modular half of the wheel, these are available in different widths, if you choose a different back spacing that has to be machined into the aluminum forging.

HDtVyJgl.jpg

The two halves are then mated together depending on the customer's request for back spacing, diameter, bolt pattern and etc. The holes for the wheel studs in CCW wheels are machined during the process and are not drilled after the fact. This happens to be a black on black hybrid wheel, the wheel to the left in the photo is how a black on aluminum wheel would look. Note that quality control has rejected this wheel.

wus3KNhl.jpg

These are 1 piece wheels and are ready for final finishing, if these are competition wheels they will be shot peened to relive any stress areas, if they are street wheels they will be polished.

6gT2uz1l.jpg

A set of polished "street" wheels

O0USCVIl.jpg

Here is a video of the entire machining process from start to finish of a CCW "monoblock" wheel

http://vimeo.com/70932294

Clearly CCW wheels are some of the most expensive, however, if you amortize over the lifetime of the wheel, realizing they will last longer than most, they are very cost effective. If you consider the amount of hand work and quality control that goes into each wheel they are very much worth the price.

Here's a link to their website, if you click on "gallery" you can plug in different year and make of cars..

http://www.ccwheel.com/gallery.php

Nice write up as usual. I really like CCW wheels and see them on track and race cars all the time. For the life of me I cannot figure out how Forgeline and HRE get away with charging almost twice as much for wheels.

Regarding flow formed wheels I think most of us understand they aren't any stronger than cast but their weight savings is the value add. The Ford Racing BBS wheels made in Germany are flow formed.

Thank you for this post, blacksheep-1!

I forwarded it to my performance car-owning friends because it is such a good resource.

John

My mistake, they were bought last december

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20141231/NEWS/141239979/weld-acquires-wheel-maker-ccw

NFSBOSS said:
Nice write up as usual. I really like CCW wheels and see them on track and race cars all the time. For the life of me I cannot figure out how Forgeline and HRE get away with charging almost twice as much for wheels.

The reason why HRE charges double is the in the forgings and machine times. Most wheels that are in demand these days are concave forgings and they cost more to buy. A two piece welded wheel is less then a 3 piece to produce. CCW wheels are less because they use a flat forging or a convex forging pictured above (spokes bowed in toward the brakes). Also CCW wheels has simple designs with less lines and such that cost less because of smaller machining times.

It's all in the details materials and safety testing that's why HRE and Forgeline charge way more. They have overhead with full inhouse machining, power coating facilities, and marketing. Also you have to think about where the forgings are coming from USA or China. HRE and Forgeline use U.S. forgings. If you go with forgings from China its cheaper (not saying that CCW does this btw). HRE and Forgeline also charge a premium on top of this for name sake.

I produce forged botique wheels and I make a full custom (one offs) for around $500 bucks more then CCW. This is with a concave US forging (same forging company that HRE uses) with a lot of intricate details. Im in the middle between the inexpensive and expensing forged wheels. I'm ok with small margins! And I don't have overhead cost like the others. Thought I would chime in.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
When you make a copy of the HRE P101 at half price put me down for a set! The CCW blanks are forged in the US. The extra detail is nice except for when it's time to clean them. I won't always have my 13 year old son around to clean them. ;)

Need For Speed Sweatshop!

Blue Boss RS said:
The reason why HRE charges double is the in the forgings and machine times. Most wheels that are in demand these days are concave forgings and they cost more to buy. A two piece welded wheel is less then a 3 piece to produce. CCW wheels are less because they use a flat forging or a convex forging pictured above (spokes bowed in toward the brakes). Also CCW wheels has simple designs with less lines and such that cost less because of smaller machining times.

It's all in the details materials and safety testing that's why HRE and Forgeline charge way more. They have overhead with full inhouse machining, power coating facilities, and marketing. Also you have to think about where the forgings are coming from USA or China. HRE and Forgeline use U.S. forgings. If you go with forgings from China its cheaper (not saying that CCW does this btw). HRE and Forgeline also charge a premium on top of this for name sake.

I produce forged botique wheels and I make a full custom (one offs) for around $500 bucks more then CCW. This is with a concave US forging (same forging company that HRE uses) with a lot of intricate details. Im in the middle between the inexpensive and expensing forged wheels. I'm ok with small margins! And I don't have overhead cost like the others. Thought I would chime in.

The reason the CCW's bow the way they do, like in my picture above is to clear big brake kits. They are wheels designed for racing which favors the one piece design without all the bling and frills.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I chose these HRE wheels because I also don't care for bling or frills and wanted something easy to clean.

Also, the wheels are manufactured local to me in the San Diego area. If I decide one day to change the wheels to a different color or finish, I can drop them off at the factory and they will redo them for a nominal fee.
b6a70834-58e9-43e0-aebf-f7c467763c73_zpsbf8893ed.jpg
frontstoneguard1_zpseefc3477.jpg

I have always loved the CCW's, just never pulled the trigger. I had a set of HRE's on a Tiger and those were nice but I sure didn't see a difference for the price. At least I can cross that off my bucket list. haha

Wheels are not bowed in to clear big brake systems. Convex is a style. If a wheel manufacturer is going to build a custom wheel they will make a wheel (flat, convex, or concave)that will clear the brake system. Monoblocks wheels are built to save weight we specialize in them.

Also to compare a custom forged wheel to a cast steal wheel is like comparing a cubic zirconiato to a diamond. It may look the same but the properties are much different. For instance a cast wheel is made pouring steel into a mold with gravity and the weight is substantially more. You also have less option on finishes and offset.

A forged wheel is compressed steel under pressure and the result are that wheels weighs much less and are stronger for racing. . For instance a standard cast stock 19x9 and 19x9.5 on the boss weighs 31lbs front and 33lbs rear. Making a wider wheel in 19 we were able to shave off 10 pounds per corner using a 19x10 and a 19x11. Our forged wheel weights 21lbs front 23lbs rear.

It's matter how much you like wheels and what your overall goal is. Most mustang guys are not going to spend 10% of ther cars worth on wheels. It's like tires not everyone going to spend money on michelins but a few guys know the benefits of a great tire and spend the extra money.

four-walling said:
I chose these HRE wheels because I also don't care for bling or frills and wanted something easy to clean.

Also, the wheels are manufactured local to me in the San Diego area. If I decide one day to change the wheels to a different color or finish, I can drop them off at the factory and they will redo them for a nominal fee.
b6a70834-58e9-43e0-aebf-f7c467763c73_zpsbf8893ed.jpg
frontstoneguard1_zpseefc3477.jpg

So do we, its hard to beat a set of CCW in anodized black that will stand up to this

qFrE6hnl.jpg

7W3nZJ2l.jpg

tJtsBS6l.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Blue Boss RS said:

@Blue Boss RS

Do you subcon for one of those brands or are you making your own stuff? If you're making your own stuff, post your website etc--I'm sure people here would be interested to take a look.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel