The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CEL and Limp Mode - usually no codes stored

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
i was at NJMP Monday and Tuesday and started to have some issues in the second half of day two.

Conditions: 75 degrees, fairly low humidity. Full tank of track-purchased 93 Sunoco fuel. No high heat detected (coolant or heads based on the AeroForce gauge readings). Car ran 100% fine since engine bay wiring harness was replaced a couple of months ago. Prior to that hit Limp mode and she stored P0010 and P0012 codes (as well as our usual P0300). Car has not had the Track Key crankshaft sensor relearn installed.

Symptoms: After about 3 laps or so she jumped into limp mode with either a solid or flashing CEL. The tires were hardly even warmed up yet so it's not like I was running it hard for an hour or anything like that. One time CEL went out on it's own before I got into the Paddock. This happened 3 times, the first two times no codes were stored at all. This third time the CEL did not erase itself (still there this morning also) and the only code showing is our ceremonial P0300 (multiple misfires detected).

I have gotten P0300's from time to time but never with a jump into limp mode. I'm getting the feeling that this one isn't going away too quickly....

Any ideas ???

PS: I got my ass totally handed to me by one of these: http://www.radicalsportscars.com/uk/showroom/radical-sr8-rx.aspx . He may have double lapped me actually, or close to it.... they shouldn't allow these in DE's ;D

And no wonder:

BHP: 430
Max Revs: 10,500
Min Weight: 680kg (1500 LBS !!!)
Max Speed: 178mph
0-60mph: 2.7 sec
50-100mph: 4.3 sec
Braking G's: 2.0
Cornering G's: 2.5
SPA Laptime: 2m 16 sec

In for updates.

How much American for a radical?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I believe that model is $200k. Its their top dog. Guy who had it is part owner of Monticello raceway.

When the MIL flashes, that means the PCM is seeing Catalyst damaging misfires. No idea of the cause. Maybe crank sensor? Are you confusing liimp mode with an actual misfire possibly?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
No it was in limp mode. Let's just say that when you drop down from 444+ HP to about 100 HP while throttle steering through a carousel turn and you car threatens a 180 you know it's limp mode ;D Full power always came back on restart also (as expected). There was actually no evidence of misfires (feel or sound) at all.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Update: To address the P0300 & Limp mode issue Ford has installed a new version of the PCM software. I was told by FRPP that the software loaded was baseline software that is used by both the Black and the Red keys. I received the following TK sticker in the mail today, leading me to believe that the TK program may have also been changed during this latest load.

I'll be at Mont Tremblant this weekend using it for the first time on a track since the installation last week. The weather is supposed to be cold (50 - 55 F) and sporadically wet so I don't know how many hard runs I'll get in to really put it through it's paces.

(FYI: The original EO# when TK was installed is one version back, D-589-8)

PCM_Software.jpg

The -9 sticker is what I got from FRPP when I had my TK software installed at the end of April... However, it wasn't until I went thru the Engine Swap in late July did I start to get the misfire issues as posted in the other "CEL" threads...

I did suggest to my Service Advisor that they re-flash the PCM with the OEM stock tune and then re-program it with the latest TK software, just to make sure...

But all Ford Tech Line had them do, was the Crank Sensor Relearn Procedure AGAIN... Will see how long it takes before these "misfire" codes start coming back...

TMO Supporting Vendors