The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

CEL at high RPM?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
I was driving along one of the many back roads in Colorado and noticed my CEL pops up when I approached red line. It started at approximately 6K rpm. This is my first time going near red line so I was curious if this was a known issue or if the CEL is acting as a type of shift light. For reference, the engine oil was fully warm and no audible issues were noticed, but at the volume I am not certain.

Thanks,
Charles

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
ArizonaBOSS said:
Any other info you can give us? That is not normal.

The only additional information I can provide beyond the original posting is that when the RPM's decreased the light went out. It was not consistent with every high RPM pull, but it happened twice where as the car passed 6K the CEL would flicker and the stay on until I shifted. It was very odd.

In terms of the other postings, I am not certain a code can be pulled since the light never stayed on for more than 2-3 seconds.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Best,
Charles

Charles,
I would check for codes. It's the only way to determine what happened. CEL is never a sign that everything is good. It's a safe bet that a code was logged and none of us can help much beyond guessing until we know what codes were logged.
Assuming you have a Boss, you should be able to take it to the redline (well beyond 6k) without incident, even if you bounce off the limiter. Actually, this goes for any Coyote powered mustang.......

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
BigTaco said:
Charles,
I would check for codes. It's the only way to determine what happened. CEL is never a sign that everything is good. It's a safe bet that a code was logged and none of us can help much beyond guessing until we know what codes were logged.
Assuming you have a Boss, you should be able to take it to the redline (well beyond 6k) without incident, even if you bounce off the limiter. Actually, this goes for any Coyote powered mustang.......

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to run the car up to the dealership to see what, if any, codes where left and what can be done to resolve them.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
That would be your best bet.

Flashing CEL can sometimes be triggered by excessive knock, if you have had any exhaust modifications done recently you may want to check clearance on the exhaust pipes, hangers, and fasteners to the body to make sure there is no contact.

I also agree with the possibility of crank position sensor errors, but you won't be able to find out for sure until you can either use a tuner to scan the codes or have the dealer scan it.

FWIW, these things are quite happy to rev to 7400 and above, so hopefully you can get this figured out quickly and really start enjoying all the car has to offer. :)

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Had the CEL pulled while having the pre-storage oil change done. The code was P0300. Seems in line with other member postings. Zero mods on car and only 2400 miles.

Any special words to use or advice on getting the crank sensor TSB performed?

Thanks,
Charles

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5800.msg88282#msg88282

Just print out that it's a known TSB, should be covered regardless. And if they complain:

Crank sensor itself is about $35, takes 15 mins to do the neutral profile relearn (including warm up of the car). O-Ring cost probably $0.04.

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
ArizonaBOSS said:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5800.msg88282#msg88282

Just print out that it's a known TSB, should be covered regardless. And if they complain:

Crank sensor itself is about $35, takes 15 mins to do the neutral profile relearn (including warm up of the car). O-Ring cost probably $0.04.

Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel