The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Centerforce DYAD installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I got the clutch installed today.......huge huge PITA. I ended up breaking a stud off of the passenger side cat. So Right now I have a huge exhaust leak.

Anyways. The clutch.....grabs and grabs hard. I have bleed and bleed the clutch and its getting better. The problem is it grabs right at the spot where the assist spring binds (you can feel it plain as day now) and makes it hard to ease on the clutch the pedal just snaps back up and makes the car jerk.

Here is a tip:
You must take out the passengerside cat to get the trans out....no way around it. that caused me a 4 hour delay.

I am pretty bummed about he cat stud breaking. Seeing if my friend still has his stock exhaust so I can borrow the cat till I get a replacement.

Once I get some miles on it and I remove that assist spring I will come back here and give a review....right now its to hard to say with the way the pedal assembly is.

The stock clutch looked like it was brand new BTW so I am hanging on to it incase I need it down the road. I hope I wont

In for updates. Take the spring out the way I suggested in the other thread using a vice grip, the orthodox way to do it is a ****ing PITA

Justin

I need to get vice grips....going to pick some up tomorrow. that spring must go.

I put the clutch/brake tank on 25 inches of vacuum and let it sit for a while then pumped the pedal. pedal went to floor but then quickly pumped back up. feels much firmer. did that like 5 times.

Justin

I took the assist spring out....still really hard to get going from a stand still without bogging it or squeaking the tires or bucking the car. the pedal just feels so odd without that spring in like its dead zone for the first third then full on stiff as hell. Once I get moved I am putting the GT500 pedal assembly back on order.

If this clutch doesnt get more forgiving once its broke in it will be coming out.

Justin

I called Centerforce tech line and they said that the clutch should not be doing what it is doing and it sounds like the floater disc is hung up or defective. So they are going to see if they have a fix for me to try before I send it back to them for testing and possible replacement.....said I am the first one to have this complaint....lucky me.

Good news my buddy that is local is going to let me use his pass side converter for the time being. I looked up a new one from Tasca Ford and its 281 bucks plus shipping.....expensive bolt to snap.....

Sesshomurai

Justin said:
I took the assist spring out....still really hard to get going from a stand still without bogging it or squeaking the tires or bucking the car. the pedal just feels so odd without that spring in like its dead zone for the first third then full on stiff as hell. Once I get moved I am putting the GT500 pedal assembly back on order.

If this clutch doesnt get more forgiving once its broke in it will be coming out.

I read it can take a few hundred miles for them to settle down and stop biting as much, but because of the high hp/torque tolerance they're still gonna be rougher than showroom/street clutches.

I always take what the manufacturer says with a grain of salt. Even with documented problems in a forum, I had a manufacturer say to me, this is the first we've heard of it. I guess if they don't admit an issue, then they can claim it is just a one time issue or manufacturing defect as opposed to a design issue or screwup on a production run. Bummer on the stud.

Justin

well no call back. I am going to call again tomorrow and tell them to send me a new one and I will send them back the one thats in the car.

Justin

the stud on the cat is just like a wheel stud.....if you could get that stud I couldnt get it in as the cat is in the way of getting one in there. and a bolt and nut due to its location wouldnt work as you cant get a wrench in there. I am going to get a bolt have the head cut off then welded in place at a later date. for now I am leaving my friends in there. till he wants it back.

I did call centerforce back. there two possible reasons for it doing what it is doing were flywheel bolt backed out and is hitting the disc....nope. The floater plate in wrong side up.....nope its got a line painted on it and I put it in like such.

So what they want me to do is take it out and send it back to them. then test it fix it then ship it back. I am going to call summitracing where I bought it and see if they will ship me a new one and I ship them back this one and they deal with the warranty.

Justin

well summitracing comes through once again for me.

They are shipping me a new one. Then going to have the old one picked up once I got them swapped all on their dime. I am so glad I didnt go and try to save 10 bucks and buy it on ebay.

It seems very unreasonable for these aftermarket company to expect someone leave their car torn apart and ship sh*t back and wait on them for a replacement. QTP wanted me to do that and I told them to kiss my a**. They don't wouldn't even do it with a cc number. My problem wasn't as deep it to the car as your but I still understand.

Sesshomurai

Justin said:
well summitracing comes through once again for me.

They are shipping me a new one. Then going to have the old one picked up once I got them swapped all on their dime. I am so glad I didnt go and try to save 10 bucks and buy it on ebay.

Good to hear. I buy products from summitracing and they seem first class. Prompt delivery too.

Justin

got a tracking number this morning. new clutch will be here tuesday. I pm'd a guy over on svtperfromance site that has the clutch as well and asked him if his did this as well. he said it did for the first few hundred miles but now that its broke in its completely streetable. so I will put in this new one and give it the full 500 miles I guess.

Then again I might just send the old one and new one back and go with the centerforce DF clutch as it is about 1000 bucks cheaper and has a sprung hub.

But since the clutch is going back I gave it full tilt today on a 2-3 change and instead of getting super stiff like the stock clutch does this one gets softer and it didnt stick to the floor but it was only one gear change so cant say if its cured with this clutch or not.

I also put the assist spring back in yesterday. I just did not like the way it felt with it out. the travel felt so wrong with it out like it was half the travel. The needle nose vice grips makes taking it in and out a breeze. Great tip indeed.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
So how is it driving now after some more miles and cycles through the clutch?

Justin

Well I put it in neutral and held in the clutch yesterday and revved it over and over than I heard a little clunk. Now its reasonable. Softer than stock. A lot more bitey. Harder to get into first and second now for some reason.

I will just send that new one summit sent back. I don't want to pull this thing apart again. Getting the h pipe to not leak at the cat junction was a there day trail and error. What a pain. This clutch better not sick to the floor ever lol.

TMO Supporting Vendors