The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Change Oil Soon Message

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a change oil soon message on the dash. Is that based on mileage or is there some way that the computer checks the viscosity of the oil?
The car has about 8000 miles and I've change the oil twice already. It doesn't seem like it would already need another one. I'm wondering if the comp needs to be reset at the dealer.

seca954 said:
I have a change oil soon message on the dash. Is that based on mileage or is there some way that the computer checks the viscosity of the oil?
The car has about 8000 miles and I've change the oil twice already. It doesn't seem like it would already need another one. I'm wondering if the comp needs to be reset at the dealer.

You can reset it yourself under the my key settings. There is an oil life reset. Mine came on about 500 miles after I changed the oil...it must just base it on time and mileage.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
seca954 said:

The computer follows the manual. Strange!! :eek:

Distance drove, type of driving as well as time will determine when the light comes on.
Highway driving, steady long runs and the mileage is increased. Track time and stop and go, decreased. Regardless of driving style, low miles and an extended period between changes and the light comes on. I believe it's a year.

Most Dealerships don't know much about the BOSS 302 Cars... Make sure they put 5w50 in and its 8Qrts, Some BOSS 302's take 8.5Qrts, and on my first oil change it actually took 9Qrts to get to the fill line... Now its 8Qrts and its full...

The Oil Life is a "Guidline", but you can reset this yourself... just stick to the rule of "3,000-3,500" and you should have no problems...

I periodically check my oil level about 2 times a month just to make sure... I will say that the DipStick is the one the hardest things to get back into the motor on any car I have ever owned (including other mustangs), but just get a light and you will be able to get it in there...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
seca954 said:
I don't know.
when you get the oil changed next time be sure to check to see its back to 100%. not sure how to do it on a 2013 as I have a 2012 and its in the setup menu. I am sure it is outlined in your owners manual how to get to the screen to display oil life and how to reset it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel