The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Changes to TPMS in 2015 wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to pass along some information I wish I had earlier.

I picked up a set of 2015 take offs and one of the reasons I liked the deal was because they came with the TPMS sensors. While putting winter tires onto these wheels I noticed the sensor looked different than the stock wheels. I figured it was just a re-design and continued on. Once all the wheels were on the car I got a low tire warning followed by a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault. I searched a few threads here and found some info about giving the car time to find the sensors based on miles driven. On another site I found a process to force the car to find the sensor involving the hazard button and the horn.

After more searching I found the 2015 sensors use a different frequency than the stock sensors. I believe the 2015's are on 433Mhz and the stock sensors are on 315Mhz. I'm going to get a set of 4 sensors that look like my original ones and swap them out. It just sucks I have to pull the tires off and change these all out.

Here's the stock sensor.
B72E2367-3176-48D6-8DE7-E18DD5F9F465_zps4ejp3x78.jpg

And here's the one in the 2015 wheel.
25CEEC86-A13A-4CD2-B10E-4FD45BE5C729_zpsw22p7cg2.jpg

And here's the angry message the car gave after a while.
3695B6B2-7D0C-4890-A142-D74F802D5B0F_zpsnajbnwx8.jpg

Yes they are different and sorry you had to find out the hard way. I posted in the S550 forum about this and have been curious which frequency is used. They have both frequencies available for the new style but I have no idea if they new sensors are compatible with the S197 cars.

Just to update what happened to help anyone else who might run into the same situation.

With the 2015 sensors in for the past couple of weeks I would get the "Tire pressure sensor fault" message each time I started the car. This weekend I replaced the 2015 sensors with the corrected type. The first start of the car showed the same error. I took the car for a ride to check the tire balance and when I got back and restarted the code the error was still there. One thing to note I did have one of the summer tires in the trunk at this time. I went home, took the tire out and took a couple of trips and still had the code.

The next day instead of that code I got a low tire pressure message. After a couple of errands that code stopped, the light went out and I've been good since.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel