The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Changing brake fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I have no idea on how to change the break fluid... since i wanna change the flywheel n clutch thought that i change the brake fluid too ..

If u guys can help me out on how to change the brake and the clutch fluid...

And any thing to be carefull of ??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just do an extended brake bleed from the passenger side rear. Fill up the Master Cylinder reservoir with new fluid as you go. .5-.75L through there should be enough, then start bleeding the other corners out afterwards, about .5L through the other side on the rear then .25-0.5L per side on each front should be enough to clean everything out and be fresh.

I have used this type low pressure bleeder on all my Mustangs. Speeds up the job and saves you having to stop and refill the master cylinder. Just need to order one that has the Ford cap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0100?seid=srese1&gclid=CJHUuOa2qsoCFQ6OaQod49YBpA

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
k98dave said:
I have used this type low pressure bleeder on all my Mustangs. Speeds up the job and saves you having to stop and refill the master cylinder. Just need to order one that has the Ford cap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0100?seid=srese1&gclid=CJHUuOa2qsoCFQ6OaQod49YBpA

I also use one of these now that I have my nice Brembos up front. Works VERY well and very easy to use. Here is the cap that fits our cars: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ20RJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

ok .. and should I do the brake bleeding in certain sequence or just start from the raer passenger and then rear driver side then any of the fronts...

how about the clutch slave cylinder ... ive read sumwhere that the brake and clutch slave share same oil so with the brake bleeding process I will change the oil that goes in the clutch slave cylinder ?

Grant 302 said:
Yeah, never get brake fluid on ANYTHING painted! It'll boil and peel. Have lots of clean rags on hand to soak up any spills.

I use disposable diapers for this and also oil changes. They work great! Just open up the diaper and place it under the master cylinder. It will absorb and hold any drops of fluid. Then just fold it up and remove it. I always place a fender cover when working on anything too
For oil changes they work great for catching run off from the filter

k98dave said:
I use disposable diapers for this and also oil changes. They work great!

I like to keep a spray bottle of 409 or windex or ANYTHING to dilute ANY brake fluid that gets on ANYTHING you don't want the finish to peel off. Simply spray it down and let it drip.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
With a single system start with the "Difficult" part first, the clutch. Remove all fluid from the reservoir, a $3 turkey baster works well. Refill and pump clutch....a lot. If fluid is still dirty, repeat. I do this at least twice. When the fluid is clean then move to the brakes. You can usually see a change in color when the new fluid flows from the bleeder. Bleed normally looking for the color change.
And yes, watch out for fluid on paint. Brake fluid is a great paint remover.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel