Changing Diff fluid in a 2017 GT 350

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by cghawk, Mar 29, 2017.

1. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

I agree with your recommendation, and now that I've changed it twice and it's taken exactly the same amount both times, I'll probably skip running the pump from this point forward.

When you change your diff fluid, do you put the XL3 in as well? My understanding is that Torsens don't actually need it, so why bother, other than that's what Ford puts in it? Sometimes I wonder if Ford puts things like that in because they want to keep life simple for the guy running the lube rack, and not because the gears actually need it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

I talked directly with Torsen regarding adding the friction modifier to the Torsen diff in the Boss. They said it was not necessary and that it was used to quiet down the diff. Not sure if it applies to the GT350 but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is the same.

3. GT350 Junky

GT350 Junky TMO Intermediate

Hello JAJ -

I finally got my cradle back into the car and I am going to fill the diff tonight. Before the cradle was removed I disconected the lower cooler line and let all of the fluid drain. Based on your method of filling the diff, all I need to do is fill the diff untill it is 9mm below the fill hole correct? I do not have access to a scan tool so I will not be running the pump. It seems so simple so I want to make sure I am not missing something.

Thanks for your help!

4. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

If you put 56 ounces of new fluid in, as I noted above, and don't run the pump, the oil level will be higher than 9mm below the fill hole because of air trapped in the cooler lines. That's fine. Once the diff gets hot enough to run the pump, it'll flush the air out of the cooler lines and the level will drop to the 9mm mark, right where it's supposed to be.

5. GT350 Junky

GT350 Junky TMO Intermediate

You are the man! Thanks!!