The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Changing my own oil vs letting the dealer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

While I'm sitting around for my 2013 Boss to get delivered, I was talking with my dealership about their "Customer For Life" program. What it comes down to is that they're offering free oil changes for life on the factory recommended schedule. I tried to convince them to let me just have the oil and filters so I can change it myself, but no dice. It seems like a no-brainer, all that 5w-50 (assuming they actually use the right oil) can add up, but I just have an inherent distrust of the mechanics at dealerships.

Do I trust the dealer and save some cash or do it on my own?

I would think most dealers are competent enough to change the oil. It's really no different than changing the oil on a Focus. Just make sure they get the 5W50 full synthetic in there. If you track your car you'll be changing the oil a lot more frequently than the recommended intervals.

I would take advantage of it. When you drop the car off, have an appointment and verify with the tech the right oil to be used. In and out in about 20 minutes. Check the oil level when you get home.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1DAAT said:
While I'm sitting around for my 2013 Boss to get delivered, I was talking with my dealership about their "Customer For Life" program. What it comes down to is that they're offering free oil changes for life on the factory recommended schedule. I tried to convince them to let me just have the oil and filters so I can change it myself, but no dice. It seems like a no-brainer, all that 5w-50 (assuming they actually use the right oil) can add up, but I just have an inherent distrust of the mechanics at dealerships.

Keep in mind that even if you don't track your car you should be changing oil/filter at least twice as frequently as recommended by Ford unless you see yourself selling/trading in the car in the not so distant future. This is true for any car/manufacturer.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I only do it myself, I've heard too many horror stories about people not putting oil back into the engine, or only 5 quarts as opposed to our boss' 8.5, forgetting to change the filter, etc.

It's extra work for me, but it's not difficult, and the peace of mind that it affords me is very comforting.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
askjeffro said:
I would take advantage of it. When you drop the car off, have an appointment and verify with the tech the right oil to be used. In and out in about 20 minutes. Check the oil level when you get home.

How about checking the oil in the dealer service parking lot before driving off? Just sayin'..

ace72ace said:
askjeffro said:

How about checking the oil in the dealer service parking lot before driving off? Just sayin'..

That. I forget that not everyone lives within a mile of the dealership like I do. :)

ace72ace

PeteInCT said:
1DAAT said:

Keep in mind that even if you don't track your car you should be changing oil/filter at least twice as frequently as recommended by Ford unless you see yourself selling/trading in the car in the not so distant future. This is true for any car/manufacturer.

What exactly is the recommended service interval in the Boss owners manual?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I choose to change my own oil for many reasons.
Had them change the oil in my 96 Cobra and they slammed my fiberglass hood down causing the paint to crack across the front of it. told me it was like that when it came in....right
My friend gets his oil changed by dealer car has 3000 miles on it. they didnt tighten down the oil drain bolt. 30 miles later the plug comes out and his engine is garbage with in seconds. he ends up having to get a layer to sue the shop to get the engine replaced.
And checking the oil after they do the service isnt going to stop them from starting the car before they put oil in it and are like oh shiznit and shut it off and quickly put oil in it and you are none the wiser.

so yeah I dont trust any mechanic but myself cause crap happens and rather I be the one to forget something then I have no one to blame but myself. and doing it myself I dont have to worry....did they put the correct weight in....did they tighten the oil filter/bolt correctly? no I rather not have to worry about that.

I'm glad that people are relating to that feeling of rather doing it themselves. I just started doing my own basic maintenance on my cars this year. I don't know why I ever paid so much money for simple things like oil changes and radiator flushes.

Is there a recommended oil change schedule? The owner's manual indicates that I should just follow what the "intelligent oil monitor" tells me. That seems pretty unreliable.

Justin

1DAAT said:
I'm glad that people are relating to that feeling of rather doing it themselves. I just started doing my own basic maintenance on my cars this year. I don't know why I ever paid so much money for simple things like oil changes and radiator flushes.

Is there a recommended oil change schedule? The owner's manual indicates that I should just follow what the "intelligent oil monitor" tells me. That seems pretty unreliable.
5000miles is the norm for synthetic or 5months.

My dealer sent me home 2 quarts shy, 400 miles later checked oil, found it low, checked the reciept and there was the proof, called them and they argued with me on how much oil it holds, then they wanted me to drive back to them to install the 2 quarts, 45 miles away. I told them to send it to me, after again much arguing they finally agreed. It seems like most things in life these days, your much better off to do it yourself!

5000 miles isn't necessary if you are not driving it hard. Even so it might be overkill, unless you track it or are doing tons of burn outs. I will be doing mine after track days and probably every couple thousand miles, but I know it is overkill.

I'm lucky enough to have an oil place down the street I trust, we have been using them for 30 years and they have the pit you drive over instead of using a lift. There are cameras in the pit (have been for many years, forgot when they started doing it) so you can watch the mechanic do it from a screen visible if you are in the car. You can also get out and poke your head in the pit to talk to the guy while he is doing it (I always do to say hi). They once dropped the oil plug for my bro's old Aston Martin in the oil bucket, the guy came up and told us. He said they had ones that would fit and he would put one on, or they could dig through the oil trough if we would wait while they do it. They could have just popped one on and never said anything, but they were upfront about it. I trust them more than the dealer, by far.

Justin

CaliMR said:
5000 miles isn't necessary if you are not driving it hard. Even so it might be overkill, unless you track it or are doing tons of burn outs. I will be doing mine after track days and probably every couple thousand miles, but I know it is overkill.

I'm lucky enough to have an oil place down the street I trust, we have been using them for 30 years and they have the pit you drive over instead of using a lift. There are cameras in the pit (have been for many years, forgot when they started doing it) so you can watch the mechanic do it from a screen visible if you are in the car. You can also get out and poke your head in the pit to talk to the guy while he is doing it (I always do to say hi). They once dropped the oil plug for my bro's old Aston Martin in the oil bucket, the guy came up and told us. He said they had ones that would fit and he would put one on, or they could dig through the oil trough if we would wait while they do it. They could have just popped one on and never said anything, but they were upfront about it. I trust them more than the dealer, by far.
yeah I know these newer cars can go 10k thats what the owners manual says I believe.

ace72ace

I've also read a few threads that some Mustang owners will dump the very first 'break in' oil after about 1000-1500 miles after the rings seat. Wonder if anyone here has any opinion on that practice?

I would guess everyone here does. It has been discussed a few times. I have burned so much oil I probably don't have to, it is all new 8)

I waited until just about 2K for the first oil change. I heard there were break-in additives in the original factory fill so while I would have normally changed at 1K, I compromised at 2K for that reason. After this since I'm using fully synthetic Motorcraft I plan to do oil and filter around every 6000 mi. Nothing magic about that other than it is twice what the old every 3K was with the old organic oil.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
boss2511 said:
I choose to change my own oil for many reasons.
Had them change the oil in my 96 Cobra and they slammed my fiberglass hood down causing the paint to crack across the front of it. told me it was like that when it came in....right
My friend gets his oil changed by dealer car has 3000 miles on it. they didnt tighten down the oil drain bolt. 30 miles later the plug comes out and his engine is garbage with in seconds. he ends up having to get a layer to sue the shop to get the engine replaced.
And checking the oil after they do the service isnt going to stop them from starting the car before they put oil in it and are like oh shiznit and shut it off and quickly put oil in it and you are none the wiser.

so yeah I dont trust any mechanic but myself cause crap happens and rather I be the one to forget something then I have no one to blame but myself. and doing it myself I dont have to worry....did they put the correct weight in....did they tighten the oil filter/bolt correctly? no I rather not have to worry about that.
Three thoughts come to mind while reading your post. I distinctly recall reading that the Boss PCM constantly monitors engine function on the Boss and will shut the engine down in the event of certain events predefined by Ford performance metrics. It will not allow the motor to "self-destruct". You got to assume that the Boss is continuously monitoring engine function for a low oil pressure condition. Yes, these PCM algorithms are quite advanced and I have read that the programming that goes into the modern automobile is 10 more complex than hat a typical passenger jet.

Also, typical recommended oil changes for synthetic oil is about 5000 mi as you indicated. However, this recommendation is typically for average driving conditions which probably does not factor in aggressive driving habits, not that anyone here would drive this fine automobile aggressively. ;)

Also, I thought I read somewhere that Ford incorporated in the Mustang and/or Boss a system that monitors the condition of the oil and the need to change it. Do you recall seeing this anywhere?

MMD

TMO Supporting Vendors