The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Changing Transmission Fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know talking about the transmission is almost a taboo subject. But seeing the shifter thread had me thinking.

I want to go ahead and change my tranny fluid and would like some suggestions from you guys who have changed it out already. I've heard good things about Amsoil, Redline MTL and some have even used royal purple synchromax.

Does anyone have a DIY guide on how to do the fluid swap? Any special tools required like a pump or anything?

Thanks!!

I haven't checked the How To forum but if there's not one there this would be a good place to start. It seems to me Fat Boss may have posted about this before.

NFSBOSS said:
I haven't checked the How To forum but if there's not one there this would be a good place to start. It seems to me Fat Boss may have posted about this before.

I thought I might have but couldn't find a thread. I did find a couple of pictures showing the funnel and hose I used to gravity feed new fluid in. I used what was called out in the owners manual. That's a vintage Coleman stove type funnel.

Feb52012AfternnonMT82007.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82005.jpg

Feb52012AfternnonMT82008.jpg

thanks guys. really helpful info.

In the owners manual it says:
For vehicles equipped with a V8 engine, the correct manual transmission fill level is 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) below the edge of the filler hole. And the correct amount is 2.7 quarts.

How exactly do you measure half an inch below the filler hole? Is this easily visible or accessible?

Drain it out and only put in 2.7 after reinstalling the plug. Use a zip tie that has been bent ninety degrees to verify.

DSC02160.jpg

Perfect!! Thanks!

Anyone have any experience with different fluids and which works best? Not very happy with how the stock fluid feels TBH.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
CoolTechLLC said:
The VERY best product that we make and sell is our LubeMover!! (We just hid it well on our website!) Honestly, if you do your own work, you'lll never understand how you lived without it. We use it almost on a weekly basis!

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_lube_mover.shtml

Just in time for Christmas.

What is the capacity of the bottle/tank?

Since Mrs Clause shot down the brake up grade for Christmas...... I may go with this idea.

I'm glad I had my Gearwrench access bit set to remove the fill plug; that sucker was in pretty tight ;D ;D ;D ;D (especially because I left my Allen wrench set at work). :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-9537-Ratcheting-Wrench-Access/dp/B000HBDWKM

The HF transfer pump worked great, especially with the Redline MTL bottle up near the battery. A couple pumps to get it started, and then gravity took over.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

The CoolTech pump certainly could come in handy for refilling the rear diff.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fat Boss said:
Drain it out and only put in 2.7 after reinstalling the plug. Use a zip tie that has been bent ninety degrees to verify.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54/FatDiesel/Boss%20302/Boss%20302%20Diff%20Fluid%20Change%20July%204%202011/DSC02160.jpg[/ig]
[/quote]

PRO TIP there, folks! I do this for the trans as well as the diff.

Just curious, I'd assume that this is very difficult to do if you only have the front of the car jacked up. Do you guys jack up both ends of the car in order to get an accurate reading??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes. If you have only the front of the car jacked up, your fluid level reading will be artificially high (meaning the actual level will be low), since all the fluid will move towards the rear of the trans.

Not to mention I don't even think you can get to the fill point without both ends of the car jacked up.

TMO Supporting Vendors