The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check Engine Bay Paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Had the same issue on mine but fortunately caught it early and only had a very minor spot of damage. Would have thought fluid levels would be checked by the dealers at pre-delivery inspections.... ;)

Hi all,

Having read about this here on this forum, I elected to do a simple preventative fix...I just put a nice thick sports wristband around the cap. I check it every other time I drive when I check my oil. You can feel if it becomes sopped with fluid, and check out the cause. I have several of the wrist bands and will just change out one if it gets soaked with fluid, and then fix whatever the problem was. So far, I have not had even a drop of fluid out of the master cylinder, but I only have 2,200 miles.

Good luck

JJ

Whenever I bleed the brakes I make sure the fluid is below the max line, and like jjgi150 mentioned, I've placed one of these as another layer of protection

F.D. Sako said:
Whenever I bleed the brakes I make sure the fluid is below the max line, and like jjgi150 mentioned, I've placed one of these as another layer of protection
I did something similar, bought a set of wrist bands from Dicks for about 8 bucks for 4 just to absorb any fluid, so far no extra paint degradation.

Get a red shop rag, cut it in half and double it over and zip tie it to the cap. That is what I've done for years on my race cars.

Has the exact same thing happen to my 13, but on both sides. Not as bad on the passenger side.
After the dealership fixed it under waranty, I inspected everywhere and found bubbled paint on the underside of the hood along the outer seam in 4 different spots. They covered that one to. Check yours out to, but not outdide in the sun. It is way easier to see with a flash light.

Memmer said:
Get a red shop rag, cut it in half and double it over and zip tie it to the cap. That is what I've done for years on my race cars.

This is what I've done, but it was too late--the paint has bubbled and peeled off already.

You see reservoir socks for sport bikes or a lot of import cars. They're not really prevalent in the domestic car market

imageivu.jpg

cf4cc45d.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors