The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check engine light on after track session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After about a 25 min track session with air temp around 93, I came into hot pits and noticed my check engine light blinking. It wasn't staying lit constantly, just blinking, then after a bit it went away.

Anyone see this before??

so whats the best way to bring the temps back down on the engine?
stay out on track and keep your revs down to let air flow through the rad/engine or go pit and turn the car off?

F.D. Sako said:
stay out on track and keep your revs down to let air flow through the rad/engine or go pit and turn the car off?

You need the car to not rev too high, and get airflow to the rad. The most effective way is certainly getting air to flow into the cars cooling system. Typically when I hit the circuit, I'll do 1 to 2 warm up laps (depending on how long the track is) and also 1 to 2 cooldown laps. Not only for the motor, but also for the brakes to cool.

What will also assist with cooling down the motor is turning the heat on at full blast during the cool down lap. Running the heat at full blast is like having another fan blow at the radiator (albiet at a smaller scale). This way, the car is both getting cooled by outside air entering the rad, but also hot air being sucked away from the heater core (which is on the same circuit as the cars cooling system).

When in the pits, always pop the hood and let the car cool with it up. Never use the ebrake. If you must idle your car in the pits, do it with the heat on.

F.D. Sako said:
Have you installed a 302S grille? If not start there.

NFSBOSS said:
Have you installed a 302S grille? If not start there.

So true--the 2013 cars have a 10% air flow increase to the rads for a reason.
One can also drill or cut out the fog blanks for free :)

To the OP - were you overheating? Was your red thermostat temp lamp illuminated? Was the temp gauge pegged hot? Most of the CELs and limp mode events on track have not been temp related.

cloud9 said:
To the OP - were you overheating? Was your red thermostat temp lamp illuminated? Was the temp gauge pegged hot? Most of the CELs and limp mode events on track have not been temp related.

Thermostat was always dead center. The cooling in the car is great, mine is a 13 and I had the fog lamp covers removed.
Oil temp was almost at the yellow mark on the digital gauge.

On Sunday the CEL stayed on and I tried to track it more and after 2 laps, limp mode. Now the CEL is on constantly and I'm making a trip to the dealer.

JTRATX said:
Thermostat was always dead center. The cooling in the car is great, mine is a 13 and I had the fog lamp covers removed.
Oil temp was almost at the yellow mark on the digital gauge.

On Sunday the CEL stayed on and I tried to track it more and after 2 laps, limp mode. Now the CEL is on constantly and I'm making a trip to the dealer.
You'll need a code reader if you're tracking this car. I'll lay odds you're going to get a P030x when you visit your dealer. The next best best is a P001x or P002x. Let us know what they find.

hey guys, i was at Atlanta Motor Sports park two weeks ago with mine and about the second run in had an engine light come on as well....took it to my dealer and they said there is an engine vibration at the crank at high RPM's ...so they changed out the O-ring on the crank censer.....the O-ring change itself is the same O-ring that comes from the fuel injectors.

i remember seeing your car.....i'm sure we crossed paths due to the fact i'm a boss freak. did you run on Friday and Saturday ?..... was my first run with my car and i'm totally addicted now....

TMO Supporting Vendors