The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin said:
Just a thought a hand held tuner also doubles a scan tool for engine codes....:)
Just make sure you're comfortable with the tune.....

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/some-rough-luck-me-gt-build-thread-you-dont-want-have-make-509936/

There have just been too many of these 5.0 DOHC TiVCT motors popping to get a comfort level that the tuners fully understand them just yet. Heck with all the codes I throw with my factory tunes, I have the impression Ford's still fine tuning all the intricacies of this impressive engine.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
cloud9 said:
Justin said:
Just a thought a hand held tuner also doubles a scan tool for engine codes....:)

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/some-rough-luck-me-gt-build-thread-you-dont-want-have-make-509936/

There have just been too many of these 5.0 DOHC TiVCT motors popping to get a comfort level that the tuners fully understand them just yet. Heck with all the codes I throw with my factory tunes, I have the impression Ford's still fine tuning all the intricacies of this impressive engine.
I have one in the car still running the trackey for now

Justin said:
cloud9 said:
Justin said:

Did you just not load the tunes yet? I know they are generally "locked" to a specific car once you download the tune and upload the stock tune. Can you just plug it in and read codes even if it's paired to another vehicle? I have an X3 for my GT500.

Justin

cloud9 said:
Justin said:
cloud9 said:
Justin said:

Did you just not load the tunes yet? I know they are generally "locked" to a specific car once you download the tune and upload the stock tune. Can you just plug it in and read codes even if it's paired to another vehicle? I have an X3 for my GT500.
I can read codes on the car. I have a jlt tune on the tuner and its for a cam idle and I cant drive that tune in traffic it makes me sad. going to buy the steeda CAI and there cam tune and reg idle tune and have at it

Justin said:
cloud9 said:
Justin said:
cloud9 said:
Justin said:

I can read codes on the car. I have a jlt tune on the tuner and its for a cam idle and I cant drive that tune in traffic it makes me sad. going to buy the steeda CAI and there cam tune and reg idle tune and have at it
Got it. Yes I know you can use them to read and clear DTCs......was just curious if you can use one to do that without actually loading any tunes, which you probably could but it would be an "expensive" code reader if that's all you were using it for.

Justin

typo JLP tune. and yeah it will read ford codes only it seems and once locked it will only read that car which is lame. my sct tuner had not been updated and says a boss is not supported if you want to run a sct tune

cloud9 said:

Yep and the Boss has more then enough power for me at this point ::) not going to mess with it myself.

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:

Yep and the Boss has more then enough power for me at this point ::) not going to mess with it myself.

That is why I went with the Ford Racing tune. I think these 5.0's are a lot more complex than the 4.6's and I figure the Ford Racing tuner has some Ford guru engineers on speed dial if they run into a problem.

cloud9 said:
badasbullitt said:
HackBoss302 said:
My guess is you disconnected a sensor cable of some kind, maybe an O2 sensor. Either way its no big deal. The Check Engine light will reset itself after 3 complete heat/cool down cycles. That means the engine must come up to normal operating temp and then a complete cool x3. If no issues are detected by the PCU the Check Engine light will reset. Normally disconnecting the battery will not reset the light.

Actually disconnecting the battery it did reset it. Thanks
It's worked for me before. With as many codes as this car throws you might consider picking up a scan tool that allows you to read and clear them.

Hey Gary,
I have an SCT sc3 for another vehicle, - can you confirm that if I use this SCT on the boss with track key, that I will be able to clear codes without disturbing tk in any way?
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

lbp said:
cloud9 said:
badasbullitt said:
HackBoss302 said:
My guess is you disconnected a sensor cable of some kind, maybe an O2 sensor. Either way its no big deal. The Check Engine light will reset itself after 3 complete heat/cool down cycles. That means the engine must come up to normal operating temp and then a complete cool x3. If no issues are detected by the PCU the Check Engine light will reset. Normally disconnecting the battery will not reset the light.

It's worked for me before. With as many codes as this car throws you might consider picking up a scan tool that allows you to read and clear them.

Hey Gary,
I have an SCT sc3 for another vehicle, - can you confirm that if I use this SCT on the boss with track key, that I will be able to clear codes without disturbing tk in any way?
Thanks in advance,
Lee.
Lee,

I do too, but unfortunately I can't answer your question with any degree of confidence. I "think" you can but then again I've locked a PCM before from a bad Pro-Cal tuner so it always makes me a little uneasy. I am using my Aeroforce gauge to read and clear codes without issue, but it doesn't "lock" to a VIN either. I'm pretty sure I saw someone post that they were using an SCT from another vehicle to read and clear codes without issue, but I'm not confident enough to say for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Gary

cloud9 said:
lbp said:
cloud9 said:
badasbullitt said:
HackBoss302 said:

Hey Gary,
Thanks in advance,
Lee.
Lee,

I do too, but unfortunately I can't answer your question with any degree of confidence. I "think" you can but then again I've locked a PCM before from a bad Pro-Cal tuner so it always makes me a little uneasy. I am using my Aeroforce gauge to read and clear codes without issue, but it doesn't "lock" to a VIN either. I'm pretty sure I saw someone post that they were using an SCT from another vehicle to read and clear codes without issue, but I'm not confident enough to say for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Gary

OK, thanks Gary,
Lee.

TMO Supporting Vendors