The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well what I thought was the skip shift wasn't and now I have a check engine light on. I should had my glasses on for this but didn't. Anyway, I disconnected the cable between the skip shift and the cable below the trans. I drove it a little ways and saw a check engine light. Reconnected the cable back and the engine stays on. I can almost smell raw fuel when tapping the gas or it's mt imagination. I am guessing some type of O2 sensor possibly. Wonder if disconnecting the battery will reset it. Thanks

The SS cable is up high in the front not the low one in the rear. But you know that now. ;)

No scanner. Is there anything damaged from disconnecting? So if I disconnect the pos side of battery this should reset it? What is the SS cable?

Duh! So the 2nd cable from the top is which cable. Also the cable is closest to the ground is what? Thanks :-[

My guess is you disconnected a sensor cable of some kind, maybe an O2 sensor. Either way its no big deal. The Check Engine light will reset itself after 3 complete heat/cool down cycles. That means the engine must come up to normal operating temp and then a complete cool x3. If no issues are detected by the PCU the Check Engine light will reset. Normally disconnecting the battery will not reset the light.

HackBoss302 said:
My guess is you disconnected a sensor cable of some kind, maybe an O2 sensor. Either way its no big deal. The Check Engine light will reset itself after 3 complete heat/cool down cycles. That means the engine must come up to normal operating temp and then a complete cool x3. If no issues are detected by the PCU the Check Engine light will reset. Normally disconnecting the battery will not reset the light.

Actually disconnecting the battery it did reset it. Thanks

badasbullitt said:
HackBoss302 said:

It's worked for me before. With as many codes as this car throws you might consider picking up a scan tool that allows you to read and clear them.

cloud9 said:
badasbullitt said:
HackBoss302 said:

It's worked for me before. With as many codes as this car throws you might consider picking up a scan tool that allows you to read and clear them.

Well, I guess I need to keep my month shut as you guys keep proving me wrong. Glad the light is out!

I will most definitely get a scanner. I really didn't want to take to the dealer for something simple. It was interesting that the a/c didn't work until a min or so later. I guess it did a reset as well.

TMSBOSS said:
Can someone recommend a quality scanner?

I would like to be able to read codes as well as cycle the ABS while bleeding the brakes

Most scanners will read and re-set codes just fine, some will give you real-time read-outs of water temps and so-on. I don't know much about any types that cycle the ABS?

Since I bought the UltraGauge I don't even carry my scanner to the track. The UltraGauge will read the codes and reset them for me in a second in the paddock, it is a cheap and easy way to go while also having a real time gauge that can be used while driving.

badasbullitt said:
I will most definitely get a scanner. I really didn't want to take to the dealer for something simple. It was interesting that the a/c didn't work until a min or so later. I guess it did a reset as well.

Many auto parts stores will take one out to your car and read the codes for you for free. Useful if you don't have one or forget it at home.

2012YellowBoss said:
TMSBOSS said:

I would like to be able to read codes as well as cycle the ABS while bleeding the brakes

Most scanners will read and re-set codes just fine, some will give you real-time read-outs of water temps and so-on. I don't know much about any types that cycle the ABS?

Since I bought the UltraGauge I don't even carry my scanner to the track. The UltraGauge will read the codes and reset them for me in a second in the paddock, it is a cheap and easy way to go while also having a real time gauge that can be used while driving.

What useful info does the UltraGauge display besides codes? I'm assuming no oil info other than the % life, but there should be something besides the codes worth seeing.

2012YellowBoss said:
TMSBOSS said:

I can't believe all the gauges that are inside. How accurate is that? And it only cost $70.00. That is a lot cheaper that installing the gauges on the dash!

It works good, you can read anything the car knows - Temp, volts, TPS, timing, speed, rpms, etc etc.

I found the RPM's lags a little bit, I only use it for RPM's on long straights for 5th gear shifts. I also found the speed can read about 4 MPH different.

As far as codes go, you can see read and erase them with the gauge. I am very happy with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors