The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check Fuel Filler Inlet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Started having an issue with fueling the car recently. It started on my return drive from Steamboat Spring and the RMMR. As I was fueling the car, it started to click off at the pump as if it were full. It did this several tymes and I wrote it off as a faulty pump. Yesterday before I started my epic workout on detailing the Boss, I went to fuel it and it began doing the same thing, only this tyme I could only get in about a quarter of a gallon in at a tyme. I tried another pump and the same thing happened. While driving the car home, I got the warning "Check Fuel Filler Inlet"

I checked the area around the filler cap and it is unobstructed, clean and seems to seal properly, so I disconnected the battery for five minutes and it did go away. I'll have to check if the fueling issue went away as well. Anyone else have this problem and if so, what solutions did you find. I'm getting ready to take the car in for the airbag replacement and wanted to know more about this before having the dealer check it out.

Thanks in advance,

Kirk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I've replaced the fuel vapor hose and bolted everything back up with some extra heat protection in the form of silicon and titanium heat wrap. Cleared the codes (P0442) and went for a jaunt. So far so good. This ended up being a $18 fix.

BTW - Fix the same issue on my wife's Ford Edge. (Code P0457) In her case, it turned out being a faulty canister purge valve which I removed from under the hood and found it absolutely clogged and filthy. I blew it out with air and cleaned both ends with alcohol swabs. Hooked it back up, cleared the code and seems this issue is solved as well.

Feeling like quite the expert in this "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" problem in Ford vehicles now!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
I've replaced the fuel vapor hose and bolted everything back up with some extra heat protection in the form of silicon and titanium heat wrap. Cleared the codes (P0442) and went for a jaunt. So far so good. This ended up being a $18 fix.

BTW - Fix the same issue on my wife's Ford Edge. (Code P0457) In her case, it turned out being a faulty canister purge valve which I removed from under the hood and found it absolutely clogged and filthy. I blew it out with air and cleaned both ends with alcohol swabs. Hooked it back up, cleared the code and seems this issue is solved as well.

Feeling like quite the expert in this "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" problem in Ford vehicles now!

Capt. Wild Bill Kelso would be proud of you!!!

Any idea why the valve plugged on your wife's car?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
TymeSlayer said:

Indeed! And, very nice diagnostic work on finding the melted end of the fuel evap. system hose.

That area is a bit tricky to see from your back as the hose end has a 180* bend, (IIRC).

As Always,
302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
TMSBOSS said:
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso would be proud of you!!!

Any idea why the valve plugged on your wife's car?

Don't really know but it was full of dust and coated with a black gunk that had a slight fuel scent to it. The Edge is a 2013 with 120K miles on it so although I'm not sure how this purge value works, I assume fuel vapors do flow through it and that's probably the residue I found.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
Don't really know but it was full of dust and coated with a black gunk that had a slight fuel scent to it. The Edge is a 2013 with 120K miles on it so although I'm not sure how this purge value works, I assume fuel vapors do flow through it and that's probably the residue I found.

I guess having to clean a valve out after 120K is not excessive maintenance. ;D

Glad you were able to track down the faults. Nice work!! ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel