The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Check Your GT350 Oil Filter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboygsxr said:
You can almost screw it out with your fingers it's so easy to remove. Just use a 3/8 drive with an extension and it comes right out...be ready though because those 10 quarts come out fast. Doing an oil change in the is car is a breeze. Make sure you have an oil filter socket and a torque wrench. I bought the oil filter socket on Amazon.
This pretty much covers it. Another tip I got from someone (Might have been @Moto ) is to put a hole in the filter and drain it before removing it. Otherwise oil goes everywhere and makes a big mess. Do get the oil filter wrench so you can torque the filter between 17-19 ft lbs., it's written on the filter. Hand tightening in won't work.

VoodooBOSS said:
This pretty much covers it. Another tip I got from someone (Might have been @Moto ) is to put a hole in the filter and drain it before removing it. Otherwise oil goes everywhere and makes a big mess. Do get the oil filter wrench so you can torque the filter between 17-19 ft lbs., it's written on the filter. Hand tightening in won't work.

Thanks guys. I have the filter wrench on order (China of course) and got the magnet in already. And I have noted the tip for drilling the hole to drain the filter first. Great tips...much appreciated!! :)

All,
Be sure you torque your filter to specs at 18 ft pounds if you intend to track your car. I went for a wild ride at NJMP when the filter gasket blew out. Just sayin.

TMO Supporting Vendors