The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chin Motorsports HPDE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Check out my video from an HPDE event I did. It was at Homestead Speedway and through Chin Motorsports. The event was awesome and very well organized. Lots of run time, like almost 1.5 hrs of track time! I ended up boiling the brake fluid near the end on my Brembo 4 Pistons with EBC slotted discs and yellow stuff pads. They held up great with no fade until the DOT3 fluid boiled which I think wouldn't have happened if I had DOT4.
Heres the video link:
That was my second HPDE and I've been to a couple auto crosses as well.

I'll offer a strong vote against SRF brake fluid, which should not be run in a street car. SRF is Silicone Racing Fluid which is not hydroscopic like all other brake fluids. Moisture still gets into the system since its really an open system. But the moisture doesn't mix with the fluid and settles in the bottom of the master cylinder and calipers. This causes corrosion over time.
If you change the fluid at least twice a year, maybe OK to use SRF. Otherwise, it's not for street cars.
Many good alternatives such as Motul 600, PFC.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
SRF does not contain silicone. It is a DOT 4 brake fluid that contains silicon ester. Silicon and Silicone are two different things. Silicon is a naturally occuring element and silicone is totally synthetic.

DOT 5 Brake Fluid is silicone and has the negative properties you've described. SRF being a DOT 4 fluid is incompatible with DOT 5 fluids.

I actually don't know what the "S" stands for in SRF. It could stand for "Super" or perhaps Silcon without the "e."

While I am very aware of the difference between silicon and silicone, I was always under the impression that Castrol SRF meant "silicone racing fluid". It seems Turner Motorsports also believes this, according to their website where they resell Castrol SRF:
Product Details
Castrol SRF is an ultra high performing silicone-based brake fluid that exceeds DOT5 boiling points. SRF is a truly impressive brake fluid with the highest boiling points of any brake fluid we currently sell. We have used it extensively in our Touring and GT race cars. It's a silicone-based fluid that is hydrophobic and will not absorb moisture. Moisture in other brake fluids is what will lower wet boiling points but SRF stays stable even at very high temperatures. SRF is compatible with the rubber seals and metals used in conventional glycol-based braking systems so it can be used in almost all cars. It's especially common in cars that are in storage for extended time (see below). Mixing silicone and glycol fluids is not recommended so SRF is best used with all new hydraulic components or by repeatedly flushing the old system with SRF until the old fluid is gone.
So...I called Castrol directly and confirmed that Turner and I are both wrong and you are correct. Thanks for correcting me.
By the way, Castrol does not seem to know what the "S" stands for.o_O

TMO Supporting Vendors