The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chipped front splitter and dented exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I went to a local dealer and they got a Laguna Seca SBY #408 in today. So my dad and I were going to purchase it so I looked over it one more time and I looked underneath and the a exhaust pipe on one side was bent in and looked dented, so I went and looked at the exterior and realized the front splitter was chipped. I was wondering if this happened to anyone on there Bosses' or anything. I told the salesperson and they said that Ford was sending them another splitter and that they were going to see what they could do with the exhaust tomorrow, but if all goes well I should have the car on Monday hopefully with everything fixed or at least the parts coming in.

Is this what the exhaust looks like? They all have one of the resonators (or whatever the bulgy part is) that looks crushed. I don't know why it was designed that way.

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/34838361/mump_1011_07_o+2012_ford_mustang_boss_302+quad_exhaust_system.jpg

I have seen a lot of Fords with messed up exhaust on lots, one new Expedition my bro almost bought looked like it had been put on a lift under the pipes and was so rusty it was almost perforated. Ford would probably replace it, but if it is beat up that would set off warning bells for me. My Boss fwiw has damaged paint on the pinch welds, it looks like it was lifted without a pad from the center on each side, but I didn't notice it until I had the car for a while and was crawling under it.

3 of the 4 new Bosses i've seen have had splitter damage. My dealer ordered a new one and let me keep the original. Win.

I bet the trucking companies hate these cars!

JohnW#88 said:
3 of the 4 new Bosses i've seen have had splitter damage. My dealer ordered a new one and let me keep the original. Win.

I bet the trucking companies hate these cars!
Yeah they ordered another one and I'll keep both

I remember seeing the Boss on the rotisserie at BJ before they were released, I noticed the crushed exhaust and asked the Ford rep why they were using a damaged car. He didn't know either, though he also thought it had the "GT500 tranny, so no skip sift" and a few other things that weren't quite right ;D

The resonator is supposed to have that "dent". Actually they both are like that except that the right side is rotated 180 degrees so that you can't see it. I looked at both when my car was on the rack for its oil change. It has something to do with tuning the drone out of the exhaust.

I have sby LS 328, was it the add on laguna seca front splitter with 2 rods attached that was damaged? Interesting about the picture of the resonator "crimping" or denting. I had mine on lift at dealer before purchase to inspect and didn't notice that so much. I was too busy getting the mechanic to remove the baffles. Enjoy

shlby500 said:
I have sby LS 328, was it the add on laguna seca front splitter with 2 rods attached that was damaged? Interesting about the picture of the resonator "crimping" or denting. I had mine on lift at dealer before purchase to inspect and didn't notice that so much. I was too busy getting the mechanic to remove the baffles. Enjoy
No it wasn't the ford racing one it was the one put on at the factory

wow you mean like what comes on the regular boss, that would be much harder to ground out than the bigger splitter.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel