The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Choice between HP or Grip....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If some how I could find some $$$ under a rock.....

Which would reduce my lap times more.

1) A set of 18x11 wheels.... to fit 315/30-18 R7 square (up from 295/30-18)

or

2) A Cobra jet manifold, TB, CAI, CJ cams and tune to go to 500 rwhp... (thanks Steve)

I am guessing it is option 1 but its not as sexy,

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Grip.
The less you slow down, the less you have to speed up.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Depends on track types you run. If your competitors have more power and more grip then sadly both will be needed. Weight reduction adds both power and grip equivalence and is the cheapest by far. Get down to that minimum weight in your class, then man up and put the power to it!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
K98Dave has a good point, your Mustang has to be able to put the power down. I like option 1, maximize grip, (and braking). You can revisit power once you sort the new suspension setup.

Good luck and good racing,
302 Hi Pro

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
#1. By far.

Short courses like you run over there will reward grip over power.

JMO, but I would also spend first for weight reduction over adding power on short/tight courses.

With your CorteX struts up front, running the widest possible rubber is a good thing!

FWIW, the dragster guys figure 100 pounds of weight is good fro at least 1/10 of a second, now it's true they are going from a standing start, but think of how many times you have to accelerate and decelerate the added weight. Weight removal is one of the cheapest and most effective go fast mods you can do...
Well with the possible exception of N2o.

and another saying:
Slow cars always handle

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
How wide can you go in the rear without adding flares?? I would have thought that 315/30-18 would be the practical width. I am pretty much limited to Hoosiers with my long time goal of 315 square.... But am helping my buddies, a pair of ZL1's going to 335/30-18 square. Vorshlag has been waiting 3 months so far for the 18x12 wheels.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
How wide can you go in the rear without adding flares?? I would have thought that 315/30-18 would be the practical width. I am pretty much limited to Hoosiers with my long time goal of 315 square.... But am helping my buddies, a pair of ZL1's going to 335/30-18 square. Vorshlag has been waiting 3 months so far for the 18x12 wheels.
That's about it without flares. Apex is coming out with 11's as I'm sure you know, so wheels will be available about July if I am not mistaken. Forgestar makes wheels in whatever size/offset you want but they are all custom so there is build time involved as you already know. 315's are an inch wider than the 295's and all you need is a set of wheels and some spacers if you want to rotate.
335's is a whole other story to get on there.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually I will try to get as many points as I can while the ZL1's wait for the 18x12 wheels ;)...... they have 295/30-19 and 315/30-19 at the moment. If I had some cash available, would be on the Apex list already. Hoping to be better off in a few months.

Truth is just switched to 295 R7's and getting used to all the extra grip (only have two track days with them so far, about 80min). Switching from semis in the same size to Hoosiers was a bigger change then I anticipated. The car handles so much better so I have to change my line and look for the limit of the car all over again.

hmm... I am not sure if I could get four 315 tires to fit in the car ok.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I didn't realize you were swapping wheels/tires at the track. That could be a challenge. I was able to do that easily with 275s but 315s are noticeably wider. You might need to start trailering or bring a friend with a truck :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I didn't realize you were swapping wheels/tires at the track. That could be a challenge. I was able to do that easily with 275s but 315s are noticeably wider. You might need to start trailering or bring a friend with a truck :)

Yup!! I have several buddies with trucks....But they always arrive late!!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
o_O I put my 295's in thick plastic garbage bags so they can slip in. Can 5 in the car with some wiggling. Should be able to get four 315 in. Though am not sure if two will fit in the back. Funny, the Conti 305/660-18's I tried a while back were smaller then the 295 r7's. They were also over a second slower!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel