The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Choice between HP or Grip....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Those pics draw attention to the big orange tube going into the boss manifold....what diameter is that??

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
As you add more grip with the tires, also reconsider/revisit your setup in the rear. Using a bit of anti-squat makes sense at street tire grip levels, but after running slicks I think using more squat could improve corner exit with a relatively small turn-in though mid-corner trade-off.

In other words, while an anti-squat setup might let you get on the throttle sooner, a squat setup could let you get on the throttle more through corner exit.

Tires matter most.

Four 315s could fit (I've seen it done), but not with harness bar. Ask me how I know (Oops). I now have a small tire trailer that I drag to events. Works great.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Tires matter most.

Four 315s could fit (I've seen it done), but not with harness bar. Ask me how I know (Oops). I now have a small tire trailer that I drag to events. Works great.

Lucky for me I have a bolt in harness bar!! No trying to lift the dam things at impossible angles......

Last edited:
Those tires are 305/680/18 as I recall (my problem is I work on too many cars/tires so I refer to my notes in the car hauler) so there's plenty of rubber on that car, the intake tube is just insulation and it has a restrictor placed in there.
Of course you'd never want to run that on the street, that would be nuts , and we don't run 6 degrees all the time, but we'd like to go there if needed.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
As you add more grip with the tires, also reconsider/revisit your setup in the rear. Using a bit of anti-squat makes sense at street tire grip levels, but after running slicks I think using more squat could improve corner exit with a relatively small turn-in though mid-corner trade-off.

In other words, while an anti-squat setup might let you get on the throttle sooner, a squat setup could let you get on the throttle more through corner exit.

Just to be sure I am on the same page... More anti squat would be more angle on the rear Lca's? At 4 degrees at the moment. So squat, more horizontal and anti squat, more angle? Some times I feel like I don't know squat.......

Just to be sure I am on the same page... More anti squat would be more angle on the rear Lca's? At 4 degrees at the moment. So squat, more horizontal and anti squat, more angle? Some times I feel like I don't know squat.......

If you lower the axle side of the rear LCA, you increase anti-squat. If you raise the axle side of the rear LCA, you decrease anti-squat.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

:D LOL.

And yes you got that right, but squat settings could also be beyond horizontal and pointing down/front. Not a setting I'd recommend for street tires, but slicks on a track with a lot of turns or a tight track could benefit.

Just food for thought. I'm looking at making similar changes for Streets of Willow, but not for Chuckwalla or Laguna Seca.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
yes.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ha!! so more squat can get me to lift my inside wheel....Thats been my goal for a long time. Like a GTA Alfa from way back.... Those are the 305 Pirelli tires?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I did something like that but I was somewhat more timid, I guess being a little more aggressive with the Dremel can get me a 1/2 degree more.

Ha!! so more squat can get me to lift my inside wheel....Thats been my goal for a long time. Like a GTA Alfa from way back.... Those are the 305 Pirelli tires?
305.. I think, we've run 315 hoosiers...they might be 325...hell I don't know..it's in my notes.
You guys have to realize I manage tires for a Porsche GT3R, a Porsche cup car, at least 1 GTS Mustang, 3, T2 mustangs , a T3, mustang, 3 GT2 Corvettes and a T1 Mustang, they then change the tire rules every few months to keep me in line..let alone compounds. Sometimes I deal with 8 cars at one event...over 40sets (160 tires) all with different pressures, sizes, driving styles and set ups.

TMO Supporting Vendors