The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chop Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
kona302 said:
congrats and stripes look good. sorry for asking the obvious what does the auto blip do and how hard is it to install and can it be turned off?

thanks

It's a device that will blip the throttle for you when the clutch and brake pedals are both activated. This will be my first experience with it but the install seems to be fairly straight forward and the device can be turned off. There's a great thread in the Boss section which is where I first heard of it. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4435.0

The AB was my favorite mod on my Boss. If you're not an expert at heel toe you will love it. Even if you are it could drop your lap times.

@steveespo

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I thought I was pretty good at heal and toe shifting. Then I had a set of rotors "Change Share" at RA. Brake pedal had an extra 1' of travel before the brakes took a bit. Heal and toe went our the window along with lap times.

Next Mod. Auto Blip Module.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Auto Blip is one of the best track mods you can do. I know there are many "Jim Clarks" out there that can dance around the pedals and double clutch-heel/toe like Senna but my size 12's just are no where as consistent as this little black box. Helps you focus mainly on your braking so you don't have to worry about rolling your foot over and changing brake pressure at critical time. I do believe the consistency also helps transmission life since the rev matching is pretty well perfect time after time on downshifts, once you get it adjusted to your personal timing. Well worth the money and contortionist installation, remove the driver's seat when installing, your back will thank you for it.
Steve

Austin
Well, I got the auto-blip installed today but when I finished calibrating it, the 'blip' light kept flashing. Something seems to be wrong with the throttle connection. I'm pretty sure I got the right wires tapped but either there's a bad connection or the colors don't match the manual.

By the time I got to that point, I only had an hour or so before the track closed, so I just turned it off and went out to do a few laps. I'll try to investigate some more this week. Or maybe @VoodooBOSS will beat me to it. :)

Austin
Quick update - I found the following in the original Boss auto-blip thread. This is exactly what I'm seeing. I'll check it out tomorrow evening and if everything works out, I'll post up a diagram of the wires so colorblind people like me wont get confused.

Quote from: steveespo on March 24, 2013, 05:35:23 PM

Ok I got to calibration and did the throttle on/off, brake on/off and clutch on/off but when I push the on off for the final time the blip lightl blinks continuously. The brake, clutch, blip and status lights now seem to work but the throttle doesn't blip and my car actually lost throttle control and the little wrench warning light lit up. I shut the car and the unit and restarted, car is normal with the unit off so I am leaving off. Must be the wrong blue wire with white stripe on the throttle that I tapped. There is another blue in the harness but no white strip on it. Hope Andreas and Cathy can help me.
Steve

Hello Steve - There are 6 inline wires on the APPS - make sure that you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th wire - counting from either side, it doesn't matter. I'm looking into this - one wire is a silver/blue the other is white blue. I suspect this may be causing some confusion. So for now, just make sure you are tapped into the 2nd and 5th. After you make this change, please rerun calibration sequence. The reason the blip LED was blinking after calibration is to let the user know that the calibration for the accelerator pedal position sensor failed. If you have any questions or problems at all - please call us at 602-845-9195.

Austin
Well that was it. In my case, the yellow/orange wire was not the right one. I connected it to the solid yellow wire, which was the second wire to the end and everything works. Can't wait to try it on the track!

The only way to see how the wires are connected is to unplug the connector from the pedal assembly. On my car, the solid yellow wire was in position 2 and the blue/white wire was in position 5.

APPS wire plug with the wire side facing toward you and the red tab on the bottom. NOTE: According to the Auto-Blip guys, it doesn't really matter which way you have it so long as the second wire from the outside on each side is used.

==============
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
==============
|_Red Tab_|

Austin
Went out to COTA last Saturday. It was my first time driving there so I spent most of my 3 sessions just learning the track. I was surprised that mine was the only GT350 that day. There was a Focus RS and the owner told me it overheated after only about 6 laps. :( Anyway, I'm looking forward to going back in October to really open it up.

5E1UowC.jpg
ubbfXdS.jpg
1duwXJt.jpg

Austin
VoodooBOSS said:
Looking good. I'll be at COTA with my son for the F1 race in Oct. Should be almost as much fun as being on track. How did your Auto-BLiP work?

Auto-Blip was great. I found myself having to shorten the delay. Not sure if the knob got bumped or if my shifting got faster. :)

F1 will be a blast. I went the first year they had it here and it was quite a spectacle. I wont be at the race this year but let me know if you want to meet up at some point. They usually have a bunch of race related stuff going on downtown that weekend.

ChopSui said:
Auto-Blip was great. I found myself having to shorten the delay. Not sure if the knob got bumped or if my shifting got faster. :)

F1 will be a blast. I went the first year they had it here and it was quite a spectacle. I wont be at the race this year but let me know if you want to meet up at some point. They usually have a bunch of race related stuff going on downtown that weekend.
Great. We're staying downtown close to all the fan activities and will be hanging out there Friday night.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel