The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway February 18th and 19th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
My clutch is making a sound like a lawn sprinkler when held down for 5+ seconds at idle...looks like I'll have to take the car in again. Probably slave cylinder going bad or some junk. That would explain my 4th gear lockout issues in the session Rick rode with me.

Bill Pemberton said:
Any thought of getting 15-20 of us together and going to Miller. Five years ago 18 of us went there and had a riot, and of course we used the school cars. Got to run the East and West course, and finally the full course.

Would be a riot to go with an entire group of Boss fanatics. We ran there three days, though a two day event would be great too.

talking my kind of event, there, Bill.
I really enjoyed driving MMP...and the fr500s...and it would be great to do it with like-minded folks.

Bill Pemberton said:
Any thought of getting 15-20 of us together and going to Miller. Five years ago 18 of us went there and had a riot, and of course we used the school cars. Got to run the East and West course, and finally the full course.

Would be a riot to go with an entire group of Boss fanatics. We ran there three days, though a two day event would be great too.
I would be up for that especially if we could manage to get the full track somehow.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
First lap out...off-roading on 10:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/1TieALWGum8[/youtube]

Bob was right...don't apex early, and there's lots of rock-free run off area.

And it wasn't me that took out the Turn 10 apex cone.

It's too bad HoD cancelled the Thrilla in Tooele this year :(

Grant 302 said:

Actually when I followed Mickey he stayed mid-track on 8, then climbed way up the curbing on 9 versus the line they told us where you get way right on 8 before turning into 9 late. Mickey's line was faster through there.

cloud9 said:
Actually when I followed Mickey he stayed mid-track on 8, then climbed way up the curbing on 9 versus the line they told us where you get way right on 8 before turning into 9 late. Mickey's line was faster through there.

looks like a classic give up / throw away the first to get the second right....so early apex wouldn't be the right approach. the quintessential version of that, that I've driven anyway, is turn(s) 8 at Sears Point. Gotta think about the last corner in that section first...then work backwards from that to make sure you don't get penny-wise / pound-foolish there...gotta use super late apex's coming in to make sure you don't screw up that last exit. if you don't get that exit right, you're either dropping lot of speed...or off the track. and you don't want to leave the track at SP.

from the NorCal Shelby Club guide to the track:
Turn 8: the Esses
Turn 8 is the real beginning of the Esses, which are the real crown jewels of Sears Point. The Esses are a series of downhill,
increasing radius turns, each much faster than the last. They are very technically demanding, and very exciting to drive. The
key to driving the Esses properly lies at the exit of the very first one, right here.
Setup: Bring the car back to driver’s right, parallel to the edge of the track, just before the cut road and the bridge. Consid
er
shortshifting up to fourth before the turn-in, to keep from having to mess with the gearbox in the very fast corners ahead. Aim
the car right at the turn-in cone, which will be at the tire wall at the end of the cut road, and get the car into a straight l
ine.
Braking Zone: Very short, light, straight line braking, or perhaps just a lift. In competition, this corner is taken flat. Whee!
Turn In: Wind on the steering lock positively, at the very late turn-in point (the end of the access road). Your goal is to bring the
car parallel to the driver’s left edge of the track between 8 and 8A. This very late turn in is
critical
Apex/Exit: The apex is very late, and there is no exit- the steering should be straight ahead (no lock) at the apex. The exit o
f
Turn 8 is completely compromised to set up for the much more critical turn in for Turn 8A. The short, 75 foot long straight line
section between the apex of 8 and the turn-in for 8A is critical to let the chassis settle, and control the weight transfer.
Landmarks: The Turn 8 flagger’s station is called the Crow’s Nest., and is up on top of the bridge. Look up! Turn 8 is critical to
laps times, safety, and smoothness. Turning in too early here will leave you hopelessly out of shape all the way down to Turn
10, and crawling along slowly. The importance of keeping the car balanced here
cannot
be overemphasized. There is no runoff
area here to speak of, with guardrail on the right and the dirt hillside on the left. Treat this area with a great deal of resp
ect!
From the exit of 8 to the entrance of 8A is the most technically challenging 75 feet of track on the West Coast

cloud9 said:
I was surprised how much faster that line was.

fuhrius said:
looks like a classic give up / throw away the first to get the second right....so early apex wouldn't be the right approach. the quintessential version of that, that I've driven anyway, is turn(s) at Sears Point. Gotta think about the last corner in that section first...then work backwards from that to make sure you don't get penny-wise / pound-foolish there...gotta use super late apex's coming in to make sure you don't screw up that last exit. if you don't get that exit right, you're either dropping lot of speed...or off the track. and you don't want to leave the track at SP.
That's basically what Bob was telling us about it being a throw away corner and to just focus on setting up for exit on 10 into the straightaway.

Grant 302 said:

That would be me in the 10 cone.
3rd not there
3rd not there
Slipped into 1st, clutch out. Whoo hoooo
Looking for a new shifter.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:

All the pearls of wisdom shaken out later... :(

Sad thing is right after the parade laps, I said to someone, "So I think for 9, you have to just straighten it out and setup for 10..." Then as you can see in my clip I committed to that thought and was just way too early. I should have tried it again later...once I was a little more familiar on track.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here is some footage of Ron (Moto) as viewed by Michael J. Fox from my car:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/m_qivo3xV-I[/youtube]

Also I added some BMO url annotations in both videos from the weekend. Maybe generate some new members here. We'll see.

Anyone remember the manufacturer of the radiator and fan that was installed in the Mustang rentals? I am in need of both a larger radiator and fan and this mod seemed to address both by allowing more air flow around the fan due to the fan mount blocking a minimal amount of air.

LS110 said:
Anyone remember the manufacturer of the radiator and fan that was installed in the Mustang rentals? I am in need of both a larger radiator and fan and this mod seemed to address both by allowing more air flow around the fan due to the fan mount blocking a minimal amount of air.
Fluidyne. I think you'll need to call them and ask about that specific radiator.

http://www.fluidyne.com/products_radiators-direct-fit_ford.html

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Fluidyne. I think you'll need to call them and ask about that specific radiator.

http://www.fluidyne.com/products_radiators-direct-fit_ford.html

Pretty sure that's the same one Chris installed in his car, Brenspeed had some ridiculous sale on them last year for like $250 each shipped. Highest temp his car saw that weekend was around 206, without an oil cooler.

That's not bad. With my stock setup and CJ grille i'm regularly in the 215-220 in similar weather conditions around sea level. There's also some elevation at Chuckwalla. The academy cars run custom coolers with a fan that has brackets welded onto the radiator frame. It's an open bracket with no shroud. I meant to take a photo but obviously forgot. Not sure how good that would be on a street car but I'm confident it will work well on a mostly track driven car.

I'm waiting for Gary to report back but if the new 302S fan/shroud drops temps 5+ degrees I'm ordering one.

LS110 said:

Does it look something like this?

Fluidyne302R-Hx_zpsf37e8c5c.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors