The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

cj intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im planning to get cj intake manifold. i have a couple of questions ...

1.) will it fit under the hood without permanently removing the tower brace ?
2.) Do i need the ford racing pulse ring with the set to get the advantage of high rpms ?
3.) Do i need to change the boss valve springs to better ones ?
4.) Which t-b is the recommended one to get ?
5.) which cai is the recommended one to get ?
6.) Do i need to change the cams and what cams do i need to get ?
7.) Can my car handle the amount of power or do i need to upgrade the engine oil pump?
8.) who will be the best tuner to go to ?

My car now has full exhaust setup (arh 1 7/8 with offroad x and this week i will get either kooks catback or kooks axle backs with lethal oap)

thanks,

Bay Area
There are a lot of posts and info on the CJ intake here. Use the search function and you will find most of your answers. You might get too much info but well worth the read. Good luck

See my comments in blue:

eng90 said:
im planning to get cj intake manifold. i have a couple of questions ...

1.) will it fit under the hood without permanently removing the tower brace ?
Yes but you might have to use spacers or use lower engine mounts.

2.) Do i need the ford racing pulse ring with the set to get the advantage of high rpms ?
Not a bad idea. You'll need a better clutch so install the CPR when you upgrade the clutch.

3.) Do i need to change the boss valve springs to better ones ?
If you're going to rev over 7,900 RPM's yes. Not sure which are the best ones.

4.) Which t-b is the recommended one to get ?
FR recommends the twin blade.
AED recommends the single blade. I'd talk with Shaun at AED.

5.) which cai is the recommended one to get ?
Ford Racing.

6.) Do i need to change the cams and what cams do i need to get ?
Not sure but upgrading the top end can add a lot of HP.

7.) Can my car handle the amount of power or do i need to upgrade the engine oil pump?
Not sure but many install the upgraded gears.

8.) who will be the best tuner to go to ?
AED of course. I say that not because he's a vendor here but many BMO members have been happy with his work. He's local to me and I know several cars running his tunes and they are very pleased with the outcome.

My car now has full exhaust setup (arh 1 7/8 with offroad x and this week i will get either kooks catback or kooks axle backs with lethal oap)

thanks,

NFSBOSS said:
See my comments in blue:

1.) Where would i find spacers for the tower brace ? and what difference would it make if i cancel it ?

2.) Now my car is tuned with a rev up to 7800 .. is that ok with my stock boss valvesprings or not ? and whats the boss stock RPM limits ?

3.) " 6.) Do i need to change the cams and what cams do i need to get ?
Not sure but upgrading the top end can add a lot of HP. "

sorry i didnt understsand , my english is not that good its my 3rd language lol , could u rephrase in simpler details plz ??

thanks for your concern,

Any spacer or thick washer should work but you don't really need it regardless.

I don't think there's a real answer to your second question and the race cars to 8,200+ on springs. I wouldn't go beyond 7,900 on stock springs. Ask Shaun at AED what he thinks.

My point is that installing different cams and valves/springs and make additional HP so if that's what you're after include those upgrades.

NFSBOSS said:
Any spacer or thick washer should work but you don't really need it regardless.

I don't think there's a real answer to your second question and the race cars to 8,200+ on springs. I wouldn't go beyond 7,900 on stock springs. Ask Shaun at AED what he thinks.

My point is that installing different cams and valves/springs and make additional HP so if that's what you're after include those upgrades.

I would like to know if you have idea about going for airaid cai with accufab throttle body. Is it worth it ?

what hp and tq is to be expected ? And how is the comparison between this setup and the cj intake setup ?

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
eng90 said:
I would like to know if you have idea about going for airaid cai with accufab throttle body. Is it worth it ?

what hp and tq is to be expected ? And how is the comparison between this setup and the cj intake setup ?

I have the Accufab 84.5mm throttle body and the carbon fiber Airaid intake. The bigger throttle body probably adds very little in terms of added horsepower....it would help if I ever decide to go with forced induction like a turbo or centri blower. Looking back...I probably would have used those funds to invest in long tube headers...and would have seen better gains.

Keep in mind....if you decide to go with the larger TB and use the Airaid without the inner restrictor tube...you will need a custom tune. Custom tuning will also pay dividends if you do several performance mods.

Wayne

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
REAL 1 said:
What is the expected power increase for the CJ?

What is the cost all said and done?

I can only speak to what I've seen posted regarding the CJ intake and it seems that it will add in the 30's as far as increased horsepower. The cost...here is an example of the intake, TB and cai: http://pbhperformance.com/shop/cobra-jet-intake-power-pack/ Now, the $1499 is just for the hardware....you'd also need a custom tune. So add another $500 for a handheld tuner and custom remote tuning...so @ $2,000.

I spent $2200-$2300 on CF AirAid cai, frpp 47 lb injectors, frpp 84.5mm tb, o/r X pipe and sct tuner with custom remote tuning. I got mid 30's increase in hp....and could add a few more going with E 85.

I think the CJ intake would shine best with long tube headers and perhaps the cams that PBH lists that they get 490+ rwhp from. Obviously the cams and headers add a few thousand more to the bottom line...between the hardware and installation costs.

Wayne

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, I think the FRPP LU47 47#/hour injectors are a good idea so your fuel system isn't running on the ragged edge just to support your new airflow ability. Check with your tuner (I also recommend AED) and see what their recommendation is.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I did CJ setup with monoblade and AED tune this June. I had Boss manifold, GT longblock and ARH headers with Steeda 101mm CAI and Steeda tune. Baseline 432 HP @6900, 390 TQ. CJ- 454 HP@7250, 398 TQ, but with broader torque curve and less drop off from 6900-7700.
Cost- CJ Intake $895 from Ford Racing Parts Direct sale, Ford Racing CAI $269 when purchased with intake. AED CJ Tunes-Performance, Drag and Road Race- $350
Total $1514 for 22 HP. I am happy. Was the 2nd fastest Mustang at VIR last weekend out of 12 Bosses. Darren G's cammed up, CJ equipped 505 WHP Boss pulled me just a little on the back side at 150 mph.
Steve

steveespo said:
I did CJ setup with monoblade and AED tune this June. I had Boss manifold, GT longblock and ARH headers with Steeda 101mm CAI and Steeda tune. Baseline 432 HP @6900, 390 TQ. CJ- 454 HP@7250, 398 TQ, but with broader torque curve and less drop off from 6900-7700.
Cost- CJ Intake $895 from Ford Racing Parts Direct sale, Ford Racing CAI $269 when purchased with intake. AED CJ Tunes-Performance, Drag and Road Race- $350
Total $1514 for 22 HP. I am happy. Was the 2nd fastest Mustang at VIR last weekend out of 12 Bosses. Darren G's cammed up, CJ equipped 505 WHP Boss pulled me just a little on the back side at 150 mph.
Steve

Woow amazing.. so u did these with stock oil pump ? stock cams ??

what size is ur headers man ??

Hows the throttle response compared to the previous setup ?

Thank you for sharing it out man !!

You have catted x i guess , hows the response ?

I know what ill be doing next season thanks to steve :D

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you would want to do the headers and CJ at the same time so as not to have to do another tune?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Headers are the key to all power gains on these engines especially normally aspirated. You have to take advantage of the awesome cylinder heads Ford created for the Coyote and its' variants. Modern power is expensive, $75 per horsepower is a good estimate.
Steve

i do have headers. My car has arh 1 7/8 with catted x and kooks catback .

I also have jlt cai .

And my plan is to see and organize how to set up the car for either a cj setup ( BEST CAI AND TB TO GET) or twin turbo ( BEST THAT I C FOR RESPONSE FITMENT AND I NEED MINIMUM LAG IF I CHOOSE TO GOT TWIN TURBO) .

I'm also intereted to know how complicated the installation of aftermarket engine oil pump is.. cuz it has to do with the timing chains and i hope it could be done simply enough without taking the chains of and worrying about the timing.

I also like response , response makes my car fun to drift !! :D

bmws52

2012 Boss 302 PW
So I still have stock springs and have taken it to 8100rpm on accident multiple times. I don't know that I have hurt anything or not but I have been running torco. I think torco made my plugs foul out. But the car didn't seem to have any problems at that rpm.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel