The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clean your air filter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just wanted to bring it to people's attention that the Boss intake works extremely well at sucking in air. As a result, it also sucks in anything and everything you drive past! I have found massive amounts of leaves, twigs, bugs, rocks, dirt clods accumulated in my filter after every track day. I just popped mine out the other night after doing all the track prep for this weekend and everything but the kitchen sink came out of it. It was unbelievable. I'd suggest you knock the debris out of your filter on a regular basis.

Thanks for the tip - was it easy to open?
I live in a very dusty area, with lots of pollen, so I sense I'm going to have to do this more often than I'm used to...

Vince said:
I live in a very dusty area, with lots of pollen, so I sense I'm going to have to do this more often than I'm used to...

Very easy, no tools required. I pulled mine after the first track day and it was fairly clean. Depends when you are at but like Gary said good idea to check after each day.

Vince said:
Release two clips and lift off the air box. Filter pulls right out.

cloud9 said:
Release two clips and lift off the air box. Filter pulls right out.

Gary, don't mean to correct you but just to add and clarify for someone that may not have checked one before, you release the two clips that are on the box toward the rear of the car, then without lifting shift the box top toward the front of the car then lift up. You should have room to pull out the filter to check and look into the box without removing anything else.

To replace the clips just line up and push the center bulged part just below the box cover and they will snap back into place.

2012Boss said:
Vince said:

Very easy, no tools required. I pulled mine after the first track day and it was fairly clean. Depends when you are at but like Gary said good idea to check after each day.

I think that Gary must be doing more off-roading than you.

;D

Good info Gary, Thanks. Is the stock filter a paper type? Have you put in an aftermarket air fliter? Like a K&N? The website shows the Boss filter to be the same part number as the GT, so it should be an easy find for me locally.

TMO Supporting Vendors