The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cleaning Rear Window... With a Rollbar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a pretty stupid question I'd like to ask ::)

Ever since I got the rollbar welded in, I havent cleaned the inside of the rear window. It's gotten pretty filthy, because I drive with the windows open, which is causing the window to fog up pretty bad.

I've thought about going in through the trunk, but my rollbar has an 'X' between the rear diagnals, which prevents me from accessing the cabin from the trunk... and I'm afraid I'll get stuck in there and have to call Life Alert to get help ;D

The current plan, which I have not tried yet, is to remove the seats and get a broom stick, or a swifer jet stick, with microfiber towel at the end and try to reach the rear window. I know this wont allow me to clean too well, because I wont be able to put much force into it.

I feel stupid typing this, but I'm looking to see what you guys have done :eek:

Here's a pic of the bar in-progress, with one bar missing to make the 'X'
IMG_20160406_073658%20Copy_zpswitadzyg.jpg

Another shot to show the 'X'
IMG_20160407_075841%20Copy_zpsbrgctw5n.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
"as seen on TV"...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Handy-EZ-Windshield-Wiper-with-Long-Handle-and-Pivoting-Head/21777422

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Invisible-Glass-Reach-amp-Clean-Tool-Gift-Pack/46698169

I have the sooner one already, but it's not long enough to reach the bottom portion of the rear window.

byronj said:
BTW you still have your stock seats?

I do. Plan was to swap between the two for street and track, but never happened.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Grant 302 said:
"as seen on TV"...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Handy-EZ-Windshield-Wiper-with-Long-Handle-and-Pivoting-Head/21777422

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Invisible-Glass-Reach-amp-Clean-Tool-Gift-Pack/46698169

These wands do well and if you get the one with the screw in handle you can swap out the handle with any custom length handle. (Cut a broom handle down to size). But you'll need to do a bit of the window at a tyme and use a second one with a clean pad to prevent streaking. Using a good streak free window cleaner will help as well but I've yet to find one that does as advertised.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
TymeSlayer said:
These wands do well and if you get the one with the screw in handle you can swap out the handle with any custom length handle. (Cut a broom handle down to size). But you'll need to do a bit of the window at a tyme and use a second one with a clean pad to prevent streaking. Using a good streak free window cleaner will help as well but I've yet to find one that does as advertised.

Although pricey, Adams make a great window cleaner. Wipe on and wipe off, no streaks.

Man, I tried once cleaning that back window (with no roll bar in place) & nearly broke my back.....son did it once since then, but it is definitely due for a cleaning soon...maybe son will come to the rescue again.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
TymeSlayer said:

Or be cheap like me and extra cloths and rubber bands will do! ;D

Cleaners aside, the VOCs/oils that deposit on the glass are best soaked up with newspaper. Nothing really safe cuts through it, so it also needs to be absorbed otherwise you're just smearing it around.

302BOB said:
Man, I tried once cleaning that back window (with no roll bar in place) & nearly broke my back.....son did it once since then, but it is definitely due for a cleaning soon...maybe son will come to the rescue again.

Yes, you do have to take awkward positions... need to stretch before going in so you don't pull a muscle haha.

I'll have to check the stoner handle when I get home. Can't recall if it has a hole at the end for an extension.

Bay Area
F.D. Sako said:
I have the sooner one already, but it's not long enough to reach the bottom portion of the rear window.

I do. Plan was to swap between the two for street and track, but never happened.

Ahh, I've been thinking of that but I'm just looking for stock Recaros.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My detail lady is about 5 foot nothin' and somehow manages to climb back there
even with the roll bar and fixed back aluminum seats to get them sparkling clean every time.
I don't know how she does it, but she does.

My advise is to get a very small woman to do it for you. ;)

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
F.D. Sako said:
I have a pretty stupid question I'd like to ask ::)

Ever since I got the rollbar welded in, I havent cleaned the inside of the rear window. It's gotten pretty filthy, because I drive with the windows open, which is causing the window to fog up pretty bad.

I've thought about going in through the trunk, but my rollbar has an 'X' between the rear diagnals, which prevents me from accessing the cabin from the trunk... and I'm afraid I'll get stuck in there and have to call Life Alert to get help ;D

The current plan, which I have not tried yet, is to remove the seats and get a broom stick, or a swifer jet stick, with microfiber towel at the end and try to reach the rear window. I know this wont allow me to clean too well, because I wont be able to put much force into it.

I feel stupid typing this, but I'm looking to see what you guys have done :eek:

Here's a pic of the bar in-progress, with one bar missing to make the 'X'
IMG_20160406_073658%20Copy_zpswitadzyg.jpg

Another shot to show the 'X'
IMG_20160407_075841%20Copy_zpsbrgctw5n.jpg

Beautiful Rollbar!
Which one is that or did you have it custom. The second pic is it PC or painted black?

Cobrarob said:
Beautiful Rollbar!
Which one is that or did you have it custom. The second pic is it PC or painted black?

It was custom made by Piper Motorsports and they painted it using rattle cans, which I can't believe, because its so uniform and durable.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
F.D. Sako said:
It was custom made by Piper Motorsports and they painted it using rattle cans, which I can't believe, because its so uniform and durable.

Lol! I wanted to paint mine but my buddies said to PC it. Looks real nice.
Tryin to sell mine want to do somethin simllar to yours. And nice seats too!
Thanks for the reply

Most effective means I've found is to pay of the neighbor's kid in racing stickers. Make sure they use liquid glass, seems to last longer for some reason.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
That's not the pink waxy stuff I recall from the 60's and 70's - not sure they still make that. This stuff works good too but it is more work. And I heard from a neighbor of mine that using newspaper is not what it used to be because of the changes in the paper and inks over the past years.

s-l1600.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel