The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cleaning Trunk Seam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

i've noticed alot of dirt and grime has collected in the trunk seam. Not sure if I'm, using the correct term, but I'm reffering to the area where the trunk hydraulic lifts are located, right above the taillights.

Anyways, its pretty nasty in there. I was trying to see what you guys recommend cleaning that area, as far as chemicals and tools go. Seems like I may have to remove the taillights to gain better access of the area.

any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Simple green works well.

Good tip is to wipe it out every time you wash or detail the car. I use detail spray as mine are always pretty well clean cause I clean my car a lot to put it simply lol

Justin

byronj said:
I stuff my crappy chamois down there to wipe up as much dirt and water as possible. Then when I get really anal I blow it with compressed air.
I have what I call my dirty drying towel. its all the adams great white drying towels. I use those on the door jams trunk area like described and under the hood. I use my griots and chemical guys drying towels on the rest of the car. I also use a Blaster sidekick to get all the water out of those impossible to reach places. makes for a quick and easy drying of the car and the wheels.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-471-adams-blaster-sidekick-dryer-by-metrovac.aspx
using a slight mist of their detail spray makes for easier drying and less water marks and not to mention it leaves a "just waxed" shine
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-870-adams-detail-spray-new-formula.aspx
their drying towel. I prefer the griots garage one over this one
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-adams-great-white-microfiber-drying-towel.aspx
the chemical guys drying towel works very well and comes in under half the price
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_MIC_781_01_Waffle_Weave_Gray_Matte_p/mic_781_01.htm

Justin

ArizonaGT said:
Water and wipe it with a microfiber. Be sure the drain holes are clear.
if he has built up junk the simple green will loosen it. straight water and a rag will scratch it up nicely lol unless you dont care about scratches in that area. there are no drain holes back there it goes down behind the tail lights straight to the ground. three nuts on each light and you can pull them off to clean behind it.

best tip is just to keep up on it once you get it clean. then all you have to do is wipe it out with a drying towel when you clean the car.

thanks for the tips guys.

Looks like best bet is to remove the taillights and use simple green to loosen dirt and wipe and hose it down.
Justin, should i dilute the simple green, or it does no harm to the clear coat?

Justin

F.D. Sako said:
thanks for the tips guys.

Looks like best bet is to remove the taillights and use simple green to loosen dirt and wipe and hose it down.
Justin, should i dilute the simple green, or it does no harm to the clear coat?
full strength works. just dont let it dry and rinse it well. if you want to be super ocd like me wax it behind the taillights and the trunk seam area lol. I do that the door jams and under side of the hood. basically everywhere I can get the wax on. makes it easier to wipe clean. same goes for your wheels. I use a sealant on the wheels though called 22ple VM1 has a high temp rating.

TMO Supporting Vendors