The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clear BRA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iknow i read it on another post but heres my question . The idea sounds great but should i do it to my boss? would like some honest opinions please... (no sales piches)

Yes. Why would you not install Clear Bra on your Boss? ???

I did mine. Performance White. Highly recommend. I also did the windshield. It has really protected and made post track cleanup easy. It is really hard to see it on the white.

I'm not worried about the front because I keep a good distance with the car infront of me. It is the door dings that piss me off. True story, this lady at a mustang meet left a very small nick in my door. Was I mad! I didn't confront her, but it bothers the hell outta me. So I went to a very good bodyshop who has done all of my cars. He told me it is way too small to do anything about it.

If an OCD person like me could live without the clear bra you gonna be ok without it.

ALLENGUA said:
Iknow i read it on another post but heres my question . The idea sounds great but should i do it to my boss? would like some honest opinions please... (no sales piches)

For me personally it is a great investment! Since having my clear bra, I've had three separate incidents which it completely saved me.

1. While parking in the garage, I accidentally pulled in too close to my motorcycle and had the shift lever of the bike hit the top of my hood. The impact, placed a very small dent in the hood and scrapped up the clear bra........best part however is the paint wasn't damaged at all!

2. After replacing my 1st clear bra on the hood, I while making a trip to Colorado was splashed on by construction workers laying new tar on the roadway. It covered the whole front end of my car with tar and oil. When it came to clean it.....it came off with ease and no damage.

3. While on the highway, another vehicle ran over a piece of tire from a vehicle and it was thrown into the hood of the Boss. The tire which caused no cosmetic damage to the vehicle itself did however damage the clear bra putting a wrinkle in it. Underneath the clear bra, NO damage to the paint......it did it's job.

Basically, I am all for it. Not only has it protected the car/paint but it's also very hard to see unless your right up to the car looking for it. My vehicle is a Yellow Blaze and difficult to match when doing touch up. I say go with what you believe will best suit you. BEST OF LUCK!!!

I agree with everyone who's had it installed. I have it on my Performance White. I didn't do the rocker panels and under the door handles though. I did it more for track/freeway driving damage.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Saw it on a 2013 GHIG and it stood out big time. It also went over a flat black vinyl decal on the car. The part that was covered made it gloss black (somthing to consider if you are putting it on a 13). That being said I wish I would have had the front bumper done/headlights and the windshield. Driving here in VA beach the highways are littered with stones and dump trucks are always on the highways. I have several nicks and chips in the car already thanks to this and a nice chip in my windshield.

From other threads seems like the go to brand is 3M and find a installer that knows what he is doing. I would ask around and see if you can see someone elses in person to see how the outcome is at a local shop.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Justin said:
Saw it on a 2013 GHIG and it stood out big time. It also went over a flat black vinyl decal on the car. The part that was covered made it gloss black (somthing to consider if you are putting it on a 13). That being said I wish I would have had the front bumper done/headlights and the windshield. Driving here in VA beach the highways are littered with stones and dump trucks are always on the highways. I have several nicks and chips in the car already thanks to this and a nice chip in my windshield.

From other threads seems like the go to brand is 3M and find a installer that knows what he is doing. I would ask around and see if you can see someone elses in person to see how the outcome is at a local shop.

Shop around - I believe 3M has an 'orange peel' effect. There's another (brand starts with a 'V', I don't recall) that has a much better look. As far as the seams, that's all about the talent of the installer. My buddy has his GT3 done where almost all the corners wrap around to the underside so you see very few seams. I did shop around a bit before I decided not to install one and there was a big discrepency in the costs for install. The most and least expensive ones had the least acceptable quality from what I've seen.

There is basically one shop around here that does all the high end cars, my friend had them fully wrap a couple of his Porsches. I talked to them about it, and they refuse to put the clear bra over vinyl. I hate the seams, so I ended up not doing it.

I've done it on my last two Shelby's and WILL be doing it on the Boss after we pick it up. We live out amongst the farm fields, and the trucks and tractors put so much dirt on the road, its like driving thru a sand blaster.

On certain colors you can see the seam a little more than other...but to me, that is way less a distraction than a bunch or rash on the nose. Or, just wrap the entire hood if the seam bothers you. Of course, the entire front bumper and lower fascia get wrapped as well. I also did the top of the back bumper on my 08 500 as there is a large flat area there that can get marked from trunk loading/unloading.

i did the full bumper and headlights on my 2013. had them cut around the stripes so they wouldn't be gloss. the hood lines bother me and cutting around the stripes would add way to many cut lines for me.

I've had clear bra installed in the last two vehicles prior to my Boss, and wouldn't go without it on a new car. It has made a huge difference in helping preserve the paint on the front and other vulnerable areas of my vehicles from the sand and grit we seem to have on the roads almost year-round where I live, and the random "oh, crap" occurrences of some piece of debris flying off some vehicle in front of you on the freeway that otherwise might cause a paint chip.

Prior to taking delivery of my Boss from the dealer I had them install 3M clear bra on the hood leading edge (about 8" wide), upper grill surround, front fender leading edge (about 5" wide, back edge matches up with the back edge of the clear bra on the hood), side mirrors, and door handle pocket. I am now looking at having the rockers and the entire front bumper cover done, as well.

The material is not so noticeable on SBY... the hood piece does go over the stripes and it does give a noticeably glossy appearance where it covers them. This doesn't really bother me, although I can understand how some might not like it. But to me it's a small - and worthwhile - tradeoff for the added paint protection.

Thanks to all for helping on this im going to see where a installer is in north east texas or north louisiana if anyone knows of one please let me know....

Thanks

PeteInCT said:
Shop around - I believe 3M has an 'orange peel' effect. There's another (brand starts with a 'V', I don't recall) that has a much better look. As far as the seams, that's all about the talent of the installer. My buddy has his GT3 done where almost all the corners wrap around to the underside so you see very few seams. I did shop around a bit before I decided not to install one and there was a big discrepency in the costs for install. The most and least expensive ones had the least acceptable quality from what I've seen.

The "V" product is called VentureShield, I had that on my black GT500, and now have the 3M on my Silver KR, both have done their job, and maintained their apperance. I'd heard the same about 3M, and from my research, that issue was solved a few years ago, plus it is supported by a good warranty, and after 18 months, no problem.

For other considerng this, the clear bra is only as good as the installer, so do a local google search of clear bra installers in your area, and likely you'll find other car forums, and when you find more positives than negatives, you should be good to go. Thats how I found both of mine.

Regarding installers: I have been extremely pleased with Concours Auto Salon in NW San Antonio. I've had them do two cars and the Boss is next. I can't recall the name of their product but it is not 3M. They have two grades, 7 year warranty of product and installation, non healing film and 10 year same type warranty that is self healing for scratches. The principle difference I've seen in side by side comparison is that the 3M has slight, but noticeable orange peel. Their kits are factory precut and they can order and get them in just a couple of days. They do have Boss specific kits and I know of two others they have done, one of which I personally saw. Superb installation coverage and fit. They have options to include wheel well lips, rocker panels, roof and A pillars and complete hood and fenders. My only connection to them is as a satisfied customer who drives 3 hours to get my work done by them. You can find them on the net. Ron is the guy.

Mike

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel