The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clearance sale on 2018 season Conti race tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sale on blown Conti race tires...lol

FWIW, those are a great compound for HPDE guys, since the series had a spec tire there were no "tire wars" and they could concentrate on a medium hard tire that had some longevity. They would be great for most HPDE guys

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
All of them are harder than say a Hoosier R7, Toyo RR, or BFG gforce R1, but the 5500 or 6500 probably are a bit better -- the 5000 is the Daytona tire and it is a brick.

I don't remember the tire they released for Indy, but it is a stickier version, they were having trouble with the harder tire blistering in tire tests, so they went with a softer compound, as far as I know, they stayed with it for several years. You'll probably have to contact Hoosier on that since it has been awhile to find which one that is.

It's overkill for just learning but hot damn, $99 a tire is a very frugal way to get tires on there.

Wish NASA had it's own point system for these tires like it does Hoosiers rather than just calling them "slicks."

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great idea , and our NASA Region did have rulings on these and used Pirelli WC slicks just a few years back. Sadly those rulings have gone away, as it sure made a big dent in cost effective racing/Time Trials for many drivers!

Ruling pertained to the Pirelli WC slicks and they are fast , used. Much quicker than Contis, new!

Last edited:
Referring back to my post #7 above... first time running true race slicks, the 265/650/18's on 18x10's with the 5500 compound.

Got to run these at MSR - Cresson 3.1 mi CCW on Mar 23, 24. Took it a bit easy at first to get the feel for them. Compared to the NT-01's, I would say that I could feel them sliding more at the rear. My lap times were similar to last fall, as expected, but I can also report that I used a lot of rubber. The right front edge used 3/32", with only about 1/32" left. The left front edge used only about 1/32" for comparison. Will be rotating these around for COTA in May.

With new tires, I had expected to get back closer to my personal best times, but was 2~3 secs off. Aside from the ME variable, and slightly cooler temps, the only other change I had made to the car was to go from the softest to middle setting on the rear anti-roll bar. So, I am changing that back, as I can only assume I subconsciously am worrying too much about losing the rear. I do have some Harry's data to analyze, just haven't done that yet.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel