The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Clicking" from rear wheel/suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got a 'clicking' that is coming from the rear wheels or drive train. It is speed sensitive and is most notable when you're driving near a building where the sound can reflect off the building back to the car. It also gets louder if you put more load on the wheel by initiating a sharp turn back and forth. It does not change pitch or reduce in volume when the brakes are applied.

I can't replicate it in the garage when the wheel is unloaded. I've loosened and re-torqued all of my lug nuts to 140ft-lbs.

Bad CV joint? Any other ideas?

Last time I had something like that, it was a nail in the tire on my wife’s 4Runner. The only other similar symptom was on an ‘08 BMW and on a ‘07 BMW - both had the same type engine. In both cases, it was valve clicking due to lubrication issues inherent in the engine design.

Did anything happen immediately prior to you noticing the clicking?

I've got a 'clicking' that is coming from the rear wheels or drive train. It is speed sensitive and is most notable when you're driving near a building where the sound can reflect off the building back to the car. It also gets louder if you put more load on the wheel by initiating a sharp turn back and forth. It does not change pitch or reduce in volume when the brakes are applied.

I can't replicate it in the garage when the wheel is unloaded. I've loosened and re-torqued all of my lug nuts to 140ft-lbs.

Bad CV joint? Any other ideas?
I had the same ticking from the rear when driving slow or turning mostly. I noticed it came from the trunk area rather than the wheel or the rear axle. So to inspect it I folded the rear seats down and drove for a while and 80% of the ticking went away. I thought I was tripping so I put the seats back up and drove again and the ticking came back. So I came to the conclusion that where the rear seats hooks on that's where the sounds come from because the car bends a little while turning or driving on bumps slowly. For most of us, the noise goes away while driving fast so I don't think it has anything to do with the mechanical components. I suggest u guys try folding the seats down and it might go away. Tho I haven't fixed the sound, I have peace of mind that it's nothing with the driveline components. Thanks, hope it helps!

TMO Supporting Vendors