The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Clicking" in steering during turn transition. I'm stumped

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Since I bought the car and first started tracking yet, I occasionally would feel a click or what feels almost like something shifting slightly during corner transitions. At my last track day a couple weeks ago, at a very curvy technical course, this "clicking "got worse. I feel it in the steering wheel, and it almost feels as if something is shifting in the steering or suspension.

I had the inner tie rods and the end links replaced last week, and got the car back today. It feels exactly the same… I also had my mechanic go over all suspension components in check torques. Everything was within spec with a couple exceptions that he corrected.

With the car off, ignition on, so that the steering wheel does not lock, I can move it back-and-forth and feel nothing… So I do not think it is in the steering rack itself. Also, with the car static, I can push it side to side, and feel nothing… i'm pretty sure it is in the front of the car, because I feel something in the steering wheel, but I'm not opposed to looking for something in the rear as well… I've done research on the forums here, which led me to the inner tie rod replacement… But again that did not solve it. I am completely stumped.

Appreciate any suggestions or things to check. And I'm headed to Watkins Glen on Sunday and would very much like to have this sorted out.

Thx!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Checked all the bolts I could get my torque wrench on. All seemed ok

Any tips on checking steering shaft bolt? Not much room there...

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Ball joints? I had one go out on my old Ranger and it sounds like what you're describing. Boot was torn and it had all sorts of grime in there.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Appreciate the suggestions...

Hubs look good. The issue started long before I had CC plates, so I know it's not those

Steering shaft feels tight, and I don't have headers so I never took it out and had a possible mis-installation.

Checked ball joints from under the car, seem ok but I'll do a better checkout

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Wouldn't bad mounts be felt under accel as well?

Drivetrain covered under the 5 year warranty portion? I'm only at 4 years, maybe I'll take it to Ford

I found that one of my Steeda mounts had a slightly loose top bolt. It was odd. Only clunked when I loaded the passenger side unevenly, like when turning into a driveway with an incline change. I suspected the sway bar mounts or links but those looked and felt fine. Speed bumps, swerving, accelerating, and braking would not either. I THINK it has gone away now... But you are on OEM mounts so I don't know if those would make any noise.

You mention it is only on corner transitions. have you tried jacking up just one corner to replicate the chassis twist and then turning the wheel?

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Haven't tried jacking just one side and turning the wheel, I'll give it a shot. I'll be at Watkins Glen the next 2 days with a crappy rainy event so maybe I'll get someone who knows wtf to look for to troubleshoot with me

Do you have brake ducts installed? If so the clicking you're hearing/feeling is probably the ducts rubbing against one or both tie rod boots. Same thing happened to me and that's what it was. I just repositioned/re-zip tied the duct hoses away from the tie rod boots and it stopped. If not brake duct hoses could be a loose/mis-positioned wheel well liner doing the rubbing.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Blew a rear axle seal last week so I brought it to the dealer for that (warranty...) and filled them in on the steering thing. It started making noises turning left too. Not turning right, just left. Weird

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I called the dealer yesterday. Good news was I was right about the axle seal. Being covered under warranty (amazingly).

They did report they replicated the steering issue but after going over the front end in detail, they can't find anything. They are looking into it more extensively this week since I'm on business travel and don't need it for a couple more weeks

I'll post with updates

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Still nothing from the dealer. I Di have them ask me what upgraded rear axle/diff I had installed when they opened it up to support rear axle seal replacement- took me a couple phone calls to get them aligned that it's a TORSEN rear diff... gotta love educating the service department. But they're doing that now at least

I'll post if I get more regarding the steering issue

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Called the dealer this past Monday as they have had the car 5 weeks. Was told it's all set!!

Went to pick it up, and as it turns out "all set" can also mean "did nothing about steering troubleshooting" so the axle seal was done and nothing else. Over 5 weeks. And they parked it under a tree that had sap. Took me an hour of scrubbing to get it presentable. Ugh

TMO Supporting Vendors