The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Gretta Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
With Pueblo and Hi Plains, you have two great tracks to exercise your horse, and I think you will find there is enough giddy up with the Boss that you won't miss the bikes as much as you imagine?!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
With Pueblo and Hi Plains, you have two great tracks to exercise your horse, and I think you will find there is enough giddy up with the Boss that you won't miss the bikes as much as you imagine?!
Apples and oranges.
Being on a bike vs driving a car is like scuba diving vs being in a mini sub. You feel everything on the bike. You are also moving around all over the bike to shift your weight. The bike is a very physical thing using everything you’ve got.
In the car you are strapped in and much more just along for the ride. Down the front straight at 145 tucked behind the fairing then sit up and hang on as the wind blast hits you in the chest and tries to tear you off. Grab the breaks and brace as the momentum tries to throw you over the handle bars. Shift your body to hang off the right side to keep the tires planted into the right turn, swap left side for the next corner and so on. I couldn’t do it physically anymore.
The car is tiring too but not nearly the bike effort. But when you have been an adrenaline junky at that level it is very hard to give up.
The car is challenging in its own right and a whole lot of fun but every time I’m at the track and see the bikes I want to be out there.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
But when you have been an adrenaline junky at that level it is very hard to give up.
Been there. Your body may/will thank you.

After 23 years jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, I then played contractor for the next 10 years.

It wasn’t until years after I retired that when my wife saw me at a track day where see saw me really enjoying the “Rush” that track days brought. If she had seen what I did in other “Fun Places” for the “Rush” she may have seen me as flat crazy. She may still figure it out. :ohdamn:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
bhp,

Oh, no argument that bikes and cars are not different, just saying you will find the Stang a fun ride on those tracks and having Instructed plenty of Bike Racers I find that symbiotic relationship with the two wheeled machine often means they are more attuned to small movements within a car. Though it has been a long time since I rode bikes, the guys , like yourself , who are transitioning over to 4 wheels still know exactly where to place a car on a road course , because it is so much more critical with a motorcycle. So my comment was only to state you will find many of your good habits will translate over , and the Boss is a fun machine to make a transition, and you will find more benefits from you past experiences than you can imagine. Welcome to TMO and you will find there are a bunch of folks on this site from Colorado!

TMO Supporting Vendors