The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Close Call at Thunderhill -video

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was up at Thunderhill Friday on the big track - wow great day, perfect weather, great people and great cars!

Anyway this all takes place on the entire West section, so if you haven't already seen it, here you go. I was getting a little fed up with the C7 upfront and when I got past the C7 the Z06 behind me thought I moved over to give the line - was not the plan. Action towards the end with a couple reference turns - oh and I could have gotten back around and then thought hell we ain't racing - dialed back a 10th and cooled off (slow-mo at the end).

Still was a great day though and had a blast - 5 session day and off by 400pm - what more you need to start the weekend?

http://youtu.be/7ayHuh-zu9A

he just chucked it in there...didn't look as if he was going to make that turn with or without you being there.
how'd your brakes hold up on the big course and what are you doing for a brake setup?

the course looks fun...want to get up there and run the new section.

I think the c6 tried to pass the c7 as quick as possible, which caused him to over cook for that turn. Things like this will happen, it took both of your guys' skills to come out unscratched. I also think the c6 handled the off-road excursion pretty well too.

fuhrius said:
he just chucked it in there...didn't look as if he was going to make that turn with or without you being there.
how'd your brakes hold up on the big course and what are you doing for a brake setup?

the course looks fun...want to get up there and run the new section.
As for brakes I tend to run in pretty deep so I may not get the best life, but this setup has lasted 5 tracks days - they are done though - the rotors though look great so I'll just dump another set of pads in. These like to run hot, they chatter a bit until you get some real temp in them and then they bite well.

Front - Pagid RST2's with Hard Brakes Ti Backers, Ford oem rotors(track only), Pagid RS brake fluid - spendy but good stuff and the LS brake ducts. As for rears I run with all assists off, so the oem pads are still in there and have about half left, I may go with Pagid's in the rear but these pads squeal like a stuck pig on the street and while I don't mind swapping the fronts pads and rotors out four or so times a year the rears are another story.

Was that G's C7? I can't believe that was him driving though. I saw him Sunday and he didn't mention this. I almost went off there too when we were there in June.

I run the Pagid RS29's up front and RS56's in the rear and they work fine and don't squeal. I leave them on for the street but mine's not a DD. I think I'm going to stick with the RS29's going forward. This Sat will be my 7th and last day on my current set.

NFSBOSS said:
Was that G's C7? I can't believe that was him driving though. I saw him Sunday and he didn't mention this. I almost went off there too when we were there in June.
Rick you're spot on - G's car but not him behind the wheel or even right seat- I'll keep THAT commentary offline! He'll see it soon enough here and I'm sure there will be a change in the future.

F.D. Sako said:
I think the c6 tried to pass the c7 as quick as possible, which caused him to over cook for that turn. Things like this will happen, it took both of your guys' skills to come out unscratched. I also think the c6 handled the off-road excursion pretty well too.

Sako - you're right that's exactly what he did - the Z06 driver is a good guy and good driver, he just got caught up spending too much time passing the C7 - which didn't lift either, at least in my mirror it appeared. I saw him coming hard on my left after the pass and he didn't have the time to lock down and swing in behind me for the turn, so I moved way right, lifted and braked a bit and hung out right as late as I could - I really didn't think he was going to go for it but he did.

When someone catches you during a track event, let them go - quickly and safely, they're faster and you're slower, at least that day - deal with it.

The C6 is a dangerous driver and should be black flagged. You had awareness, and a nice side by side pass in the turn could have been executed as one would do in any 'pass anywhere' group. He was too fast, inexperienced and just plain stupid. Good job to you.

TMO Supporting Vendors