The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch assist spring good or bad open thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
SVT1 said:
I have the line too but until I can figure out how to install it, this will have to do. I called JHR about installing the clutch line and was on hold for so long I eventually hung up.

For clutch line install, see link:

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modifications/powertrain/joe-heck-racing-high-volume-clutch-line/

More detailed instruction can be found here:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/302126-joe-heck-racing-stainless-braided-clutch-line.html

MMD

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/JHR-8025/Mustang-Jhr-High-Volume-Clutch-Line Free ship here.

Yeah I believe that spring was a big misstake. It can only hurt the performance of this type of car. I read a pretty good artical on centrifical force and the clutch it has me 100% satisfied on removing that spring. Now for that line, I am not sure the line will help any maybe more of a piece of mind type of thing but I think every little bit will help. The one thing that does kind of bother me is if you look at the gt500 clutch pedal the pivot pin that pushes the clutch cylinder down has a few support brackets welded to it. This makes it much more rigid and I have to wonder if the standard one twists a bit maybe not enough to notice but why the difference. I think I am going to add these to mine.

Seen some discussions about replacing the stock "GT" assembly with one out of a 2011 GT-500. Does anyone have any experience with this mod?
r/
Eric

Was playing cars with a guy in a C5 Z06 yesterday, mentioned the clutch issues I had at last track day and he immediately asked if there was an assist spring and then told me how they have had lots of issues with them in Vettes. Mine is coming out before my next event, though I babied the car this time (brakes/tires were having issues) and I did not have any lock outs or clutch sticks but I did have it kick out of 2nd coming out of the pits.

Well I want to thank JEEPINOCALA! I took the spring out and love the feel.I wouldn't take it out if you drove in traffic every day.But for my use it is a wonderful change.

Dont thank me there are alot of people whom has written this up I just took the time to really check it out. I will say with this being an old problem for chevy I am kinda surprised that ford ever tried it. My clutch line goes in this week and I am still waiting to finish the measurements for the clutch pedal and going to put an indicator on the clutch to see if there is any bending going on at the unsupperted shaft that pushes the clutch cylinder down on the pedal. There has to be a reaso why ford beefed up the gt500 clutch pedal?

I also got the clutch line and plan on putting it in next week .I have run out of time this week due to going to Watkins Glen.I would recommend Pro sport extreme brake fluid.It has the highest boiling point on the market.I get it from Pegasus.I use for my brake fluid and clutch fluid.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
roketman said:
Well I want to thank JEEPINOCALA! I took the spring out and love the feel.I wouldn't take it out if you drove in traffic every day.But for my use it is a wonderful change.
I drive a lot in heavy city traffic. Does it make it super stiff?

If so can this spring be taken in and out easily? Cause I would like to try it but if it doesn't work out for me I dont want to be stuck buying a new assembly just to get it back.

Justin said:
roketman said:
I drive a lot in heavy city traffic. Does it make it super stiff?

If so can this spring be taken in and out easily? Cause I would like to try it but if it doesn't work out for me I dont want to be stuck buying a new assembly just to get it back.

I would say if you live in a city or drive alot in one then keep the spring in for comfort there is not a very large difference to me and I enjoy being able to feel the clutch.

Justin

jeepinocala said:
I would say if you live in a city or drive alot in one then keep the spring in for comfort there is not a very large difference to me and I enjoy being able to feel the clutch.
I would like to take it out at the track cause the last time it was doing the only coming up half way on the 3-4 change and that would be followed by clutch burning smell on the return road.

Soon as I get a Center Force DYAD or DF that spring is going to go

it is pretty step price though
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-04234805/

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
So after all that's been stated in this thread, the current theory is that this 'assist' spring is binding under hard shifting and causing the clutch to stick in certain situations (high speed -rpm-). I'm wondering if replacing the spring with another would be an option? Would be great to get a little drive-ability assist around town/traffic and not bind up under high rpm shifts.

A thought would be maybe a quick release to take it out and in if you may want it durrung the day to day driving?

MA
If your on the fence, just take it out. The clutch effort increase is
Minimal at best. To me there is NO trade off for comfort/performance, it's much better without it. It's still a hydro clutch guys, try a cable actuated clutch and you will think the pedal with the spring removed is very easy to depress.

Justin

SVT1 said:
If your on the fence, just take it out. The clutch effort increase is
Minimal at best. To me there is NO trade off for comfort/performance, it's much better without it. It's still a hydro clutch guys, try a cable actuated clutch and you will think the pedal with the spring removed is very easy to depress.
I used to drive a 96 cobra with a king cobra clutch in it I know what a heavy pedal feels like. and you are right the clutch right now feels like a 4 cylinder in comparison lol

Does it fix how it feels like it is all the way up with a few inches left? The inconsistent feel is almost as bad as the sticking issues.

CaliMR said:
Does it fix how it feels like it is all the way up with a few inches left? The inconsistent feel is almost as bad as the sticking issues.

The one thing it does do is keep your clutch at the same spot anotherwords I had a complaint of it seemed as if the clutch pedal was at a different position when running hard compared to just everyday driveing now it is the same all the time so I know that spring is not a good thing when running hard but going day to day easy it probably doesnt matter so it is a comfort and performance choice. keep it and loose performance take it out and loose the comfort, after driving with it off for two weeks now it is great today I went to my dealer to setup a time tomorrow for my upgraded clutch line so I told him try it out I have a great service guy no bull he knows what he is doing the first thing he said was the clutch felt much better without the spring.

Ok just had the clutch line installed from what I can tell just as the hydralic shop told me what it seems to do is make the clutch pedal much easier to push damn I wished I had done all of this from day one. Removed the clutch assist spring adding the new clutch aftermarket clutch line and bleeding it what a difference ;D

MA
I'm waiting to put my clutch line in as I am stumped as to how to get it to the tranny side.

What did they have to do? How much was the install? Did you have Ford do it as you previously said you were going to? Is the pedal effort TOO light now? Smoother pedal?

TMO Supporting Vendors