The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch assist spring good or bad open thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There will be a dead spot right at the top for like 1/2", once you press past it the pedal will be a little stiffer. My gf is barely 5' and she didn't notice it being stiffer the last time I let her drive it. It can also be popped back in if you don't like it.

CaliMR said:
There will be a dead spot right at the top for like 1/2", once you press past it the pedal will be a little stiffer. My gf is barely 5' and she didn't notice it being stiffer the last time I let her drive it. It can also be popped back in if you don't like it.

Yep, that's the first thing I noticed after doing this mod. Don't like it either... the pedal now feels slightly mushy on initial depression, and on release it feels like it's not coming up all the way. Going to drive with the spring out for awhile and see, but may have to put it back in to eliminate that initial dead spot. Of find another way around it.

BTW... it's not necessarily easy to get the upper spring bracket off... I could not get the upper pin to come out, even after using needle nose vise grips to compress the spring and rotating the pin. Didn't want to force it and break the upper bracket, so ended up compressing the spring enough that I could slide off the lower spring perch, but in doing so broke the extended plastic piece off the upper bracket. Oh well...

I have thought of comming up with something to rid the first 1/2" of dead space but after using it for a while I dont even notice it at all. What I do notice and my dealer said the same thing is it has alot more clutch feel.

I tried to slide out the pin with it compressed, it didn't work. So I just pushed down on the top bracket and it popped out. The pin is not in a hole, it is in a groove from what I can tell, so once the bracket is pushed down it just falls out.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Had a near tragedy this last week. A 20 something individual texting while driving t-boned my daughters 2010 mustang. Speeds for both were 55ish.

Thanks to the safety features built into our cars daughter walked away with a few cuts and bruises.

Thanks Ford!!!

Car was totaled!

Now she has a 2013 MCA V6 6 speed in grabber blue. This is her first car with a stick. She has driven my boss, her uncles M3 as well as a few classics at a hagerty sponsored event. Starting from a stop has been an issue for her.

Yesterday I looked under the dash and yes, the V6 does has a clutch assist spring. It appears to be a little lighter than the spring in the Boss.

Took the spring out and she now reports a better feel for where the clutch is engaging.

Mod one down. Many more to go.

MGW and speakers are on the way!! :)

Signed: A Thankful Father

TMS glad to hear your daughter is safe. I hope she enjoys her new Mustang.

TMO Supporting Vendors