The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch / Brake reservoir issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

After reading about people with clutch issues and or brake issues and how to flush and upgrade the brake fluid to Dot 4, I came across some interesting info. Last weekend I helped my coworker add a seperate clutch reservoir for his 13' Camaro. He described similar issues that I've read with the ford's combined reservoir. He had ordered this kit here http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/jdp-stage-i-clutch-reservoir-relocation-kit-2010-2014-camaro-v6-ss-zl1-jdpc1001 and we flushed the brakes and clutch with a mity vac and vacuum bleed kit. The kit actually looks like it may fit on our mustangs as well.

I was reading a camaro thread about the dirty fluid and almost replied thinking this guys suggestion that the dirty fluid is from the clutch dust. They argued in the thread and I was convinced there is no way that dust can get into a sealed clutch system. Then I found this http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2250372-clutch-pedal-issues-how-to-prevent-and-cure.html and after I read that and seen the results PDF where they sent samples out to be tested to determine what the contamination was, I was shocked. I guess with the heat and frequent actuation of the clutch the dust settles on the hydraulic actuator and slips past the seals into the clutch fluid. Eventually it causes the seals to fail and poor clutch actuation.

So I figured I'd share this info here and maybe we can make a similar kit for our vehicles as well. I did see some other threads where people have done this on mustangs and purchased a $14 reservoir.

EDIT: Link to SVT forum discussing separate reservoir's
1. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/952272-seperate-clutch-reservoir.html
2. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/950743-clutch-system-fluid-shift-issues.html
3. http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

EDIT3: Ok after all this shipping crap back and forth this kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-11098/overview/ seems to be the perfect fit! I'm going to start tinkering this week. Also we had checked the clutch fluid in my friends Camaro after a week and the clutch fluid was filthy, we flushed the fluid in 5min (easy with separate reservoir) and his brake fluid is still perfect. No more contamination in the brake fluid. I will take some pictures and clean up this post when I'm done. In the mean time if anyone wants to beat me to it, it should be fairly easy to mount and install.

I'm not sure where I will mount it yet, but thinking either to the side of the Strut fender or where the sound tube mounts (probably remove sound tube anyhow). I chose the 7oz as I think it's a little bigger than my friends that we installed in the Camaro and will require less frequent flush's. I will update when my parts arrive and I install everything.
I don't have any issues currently and only have about 2k miles on my 13' Boss, but would like to do this as well. It will be much easier to flush the clutch fluid more often, than flushing the entire brake and clutch fluid.

I can update this post if needed with any helpful info posted in this thread or any Mod is welcome to edit/update this as well.

Chris

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Good idea bringing this issue back up...I've done the fluid swaps and vacuum bleeding on both cars. I would definitely try a Ford based kit if somebody made one.

I have read about this on SVTP and someone came up with a great counter argument. When you create a second reservoir for the fluid it won't be as large as the primary and can actually dirty quicker and will need flushing more frequently. Instead you could try to find the 302S reservoir which looks to be about 1.5 to 2 times larger then stock and will hold more fluid so that when it begins to contaminate the ratio of fluid to contaminant will be less.

Brandon302 said:
Instead you could try to find the 302S reservoir which looks to be about 1.5 to 2 times larger then stock and will hold more fluid so that when it begins to contaminate the ratio of fluid to contaminant will be less.

OK, Ford Racing has used the same race booster on the FR500C, the Boss 302R and 302S.

If you look at the older cars they all came with the larger reservoir. The newer cars have a different Master Cylinder. I don't think the bolt pattern is the same so you can't swap the MC between boosters.

I'll look tomorrow on a Boss 302S and see if the MC cylinder can be swapped........

Boss 302S

302S_breather_zps378eea29.jpg

FR500C

ubbthreads.php

'05-'??

112_0504_05z_2005_Mustang_GT_Convertible_Engine.jpg

'12 Boss 302

2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-engine-710x471.jpg

Brandon302 said:
I have read about this on SVTP and someone came up with a great counter argument. When you create a second reservoir for the fluid it won't be as large as the primary and can actually dirty quicker and will need flushing more frequently. Instead you could try to find the 302S reservoir which looks to be about 1.5 to 2 times larger then stock and will hold more fluid so that when it begins to contaminate the ratio of fluid to contaminant will be less.

True on a larger Reservoir, however I'd much rather take a turkey baster and suck out the clutch fluid in 5min and refill than bleed the complete brake reservoir and all the brake lines. Plus I don't want the clutch dust traveling through my brake lines to my calipers. I'm sure all this would not probably cause me any issues, but I get nit picky sometimes lol.

I found some reservoirs, but they all seem kinda small. I'm still looking for a little larger one to alleviate the frequent fluid swaps for the separate clutch reservoir. If anyone finds one please post. The mounting and additional items seem cheap and easy to buy/do. I like the bracket mount that my friend had as it mounts to a bolt on the MC and was easy and clean w/no drilling etc. Once I find a decent reservoir I'll make a similar bracket and purchase the additional hardware. I'm slow, so if anyone beats me to it please help me along too. Thanks!

Chris

OLOABoss said:
Clutch Dust????????????????????????? Must have missed that one in cars 101. ;)

Peter

Peter, that's exactly how I felt...lol. But read the link in my first post where someone had his fluid tested to see what the contamination was. I wouldn't have ever believed it either. Also my friends camaro that we did the separate clutch reservoir, we looked at the fluid after a week and the clutch fluid is already darker and the brake fluid looks like new. So I also believe the clutch fluid is the one contaminating the brake fluid.

Chris

Boss_302 said:
OK, Ford Racing has used the same race booster on the FR500C, the Boss 302R and 302S.

If you look at the older cars they all came with the larger reservoir. The newer cars have a different Master Cylinder. I don't think the bolt pattern is the same so you can't swap the MC between boosters.

I'll look tomorrow on a Boss 302S and see if the MC cylinder can be swapped........

If you are talking about the new Shelby I don't know but if you are talking about the race cars I have been told they are running the same master from last year, this year with the new module and 3800MM rotors. At least that is the case on the R, the production S may be different.

Boss_302 said:

YellowBoss said:
If you are talking about the new Shelby I don't know but if you are talking about the race cars I have been told they are running the same master from last year, this year with the new module and 3800MM rotors. At least that is the case on the R, the production S may be different.

OK poorly written.......I meant to say............

All race cars FR500C/Boss 302R/S use the same Booster/Master Cylinder.

The street cars Master Cylinder reservoir has decreased in size, but you can't put an old style (larger) on the newer cars because the Master Cylinder is different............

Boss_302 said:
OK poorly written.......I meant to say............

All race cars FR500C/Boss 302R/S use the same Booster/Master Cylinder.

The street cars Master Cylinder reservoir has decreased in size, but you can't put an old style (larger) on the newer cars because the Master Cylinder is different............

I figured the R would have a different master this year and had hoped to get a take-off, that is how I found out they are still running last years part. I would and should have one but the cost is crazy and I have many other items on the wish list. For now I need to keep an eye on the fluid level all day with the thicker pads.

I wonder if changing the throw out bearing to something with a better seal would stop dust getting sucked into the system.

Noellenchris said:
Some of the parts should be here tomorrow, I hope to start this this weekend. I also found a pic from a boss 302 introduction event that shows a different MC and separate clutch reservoir. Also I can see a JLT Oil Separator and what looks like a breather mounted on the back next to where the battery would normally be.

http://s647.photobucket.com/user/SouthJerseyMustangClub/media/Mustang%20Preview-Phila%20Auto%20Show%201-28-12/DSC_5417.jpg.html?sort=2&o=56

DSC_5417.jpg

Good to hear, do a write up if able. And not to be a stickler, but that isn't a breather in the back, it's a fuel pressure regulator.

Noellenchris said:
Thanks, glad u corrected me, wasn't to sure.. :p

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

There are several things on there that are pretty cool, like the little gauge in the firewall.

Got the parts today, I have to send back half, and had to reorder some things. I have the 7oz reservoir but the mount was too big. So essentially I ordered the parts for this Wilwood remote reservoir http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/Flyers/fl294.pdf . It should be an easy fit on the wheel well when the parts come later this week. I like the size of the 7oz, as I think it will provide more fluid which will be easier to keep clean longer than some of the small reservoir's I've seen.

Chris

TMO Supporting Vendors