The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch break in on race car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curious to see the replies to this question.

Drift guys bolt up Exedy Hyper clutches and just get out on the track, no break in at all.

I've read they require no break in if installed correctly, and I've also read they require a 500 mile break in before "beating on the clutch" whatever that means to a clutch.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I like to get to a dyno and "drive around" with various stop/go, accel, decel, engine braking patterns randomly on there for 15-30 mins. Then hit the track.

drano38

Wayne
Glad we don't need a good break in. I've got 200 street miles (in town and 10 miles interstate to work), so looks like I'm ready for BIR the first weekend of June.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Don't know why...but swapping a clutch always seems to be just before race day... At least still driving to the track, so I can feel better abut breaking it in on the way.. Does not seem to have affected it adversely.

Guess I will just throw it in and drive the car around for 10 minutes using the clutch constantly, then let it cool and I am good to go.

Thanks for the help guys. Maybe break in is for driveability and that does not matter on my non-street car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel