The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch break in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys ,

I would like to know how to properly break the clutch in ... can i drive in high way ... high speeds ??

Can i downshift ? Im used to downshifting and i dont know if i can or not ...

And i drove the car on a steep ramp to enter the garage so i was constantly on the clutch ... is it ok to do so ?

Is the clutch loaded or affected when im at a constant speed on the high way ??

I think everything is engaged so this has no affect ... am i right ?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I would try to avoid anything that requires a lot of clutch slipping like starting on inclines etc for the first 500 miles if possible. Downshifting no problem as long as you are decent at rev-matching.

Otherwise just drive normally. Clutch will be fully engaged when you are off the pedal and there is no risk there.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Agreed, however clutch break-in of the friction material occurs under normal driving while engaging the clutch. So long trips on the freeway will not brake-in your clutch.

Do not over slip the clutch during this time, just normal street or city driving is best.

Essentially, you don't want to overheat the clutch disc surface with excessive slippage like WOT starts from stand still, do not burn rubber and avoid or limit stop and go's on steep inclines, etc.

Keep your clutch engagements to just below and/or just over 2,000 RPM's during the break-in period.

Normal city type driving and you'll be fine.
302 Hi Pro

Thanks for this input guys ... youve been really helpfull on anything i ask about !!...

I have lots of respect for this forum ... definitely the members made it quite friendly :)

Is there a way to tell if my clutch have passed the break in period ?

I could drive it to 500 miles but i may used the clutch for less or more than the break in period and i would like to know when am i ready to drive fast lol

Some clutches may change engagement "character" once broken in. But in general, if you've driven ~500 miles, you're most likely fine. So you're good!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Pound on it gradually for the next few hundred miles and save the Burn Out Contest til you have the next 500 miles on it.

You should be good to go if your first 500 miles was city type driving.

Good luck and post some pics of your ride.
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors