The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch break in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Getting an Exedy Hyper Single clutch installed, hopefully soon but given the state of shipping these days it's questionable.
Exedy docs call for 750 miles of "break in", but no description of what "break in" might constitute, other than an admonition to never "abuse" a new clutch. I expect a track day would be "abuse"? It's an SFI 1.1 certified racing clutch, so how would you do 750 miles of break in with a non road legal car? My car is still road legal, but sure not fun to drive on the road anymore, especially in this heat. Anyone have any advice/experience with this break in issue?

I just put a hyper single in. It took about two days of street driving for it to feel normal. It’s really grabby when brand new. I’ve put about 250 miles on it and it now drives just like stock.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Just to close the loop on this, I did the recommended 750 mile break in. In a car with no A/C and racing seats. How in hell did we ever survive before A/C in cars? And we have had an abnormally hot summer this year. Brutal!

The good news is the Exedy Hyper Single clutch fixed the 3-4 upshift lockout problem as Ben Calimer suggested it might. Did my first track day since early June and I didn't get locked out once all day. But I am likely going to buy one of Ben's Stage 2 or 3 gearboxes anyway. I missed most of June, all of July and most of August track days because of this problem. Uniquely bad this year because of all the problems with getting stuff out of the US with covid. Then the dreaded break in. No way I want to have this happen again, and getting a stouter trans will go a long way to addressing the reliability issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors