The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch-Flywheel Moment of Inerrtia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone here know or has calculated the moment of inertia for S197 5.0 flywheel or OEM clutch?
Have values for aftermarket flywheel or clutch? Excedy, Spec, others?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Agreed! Like a nice an simple clutch, Loyal fan of my Spec clutchs with a Aluminium flywheel. None has let me down so far and they cost half the price of a Dual disc clutch.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I've been running a Mc Leod RXT twin disc w/Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel. Its been flawless.
I switched it up to a Hyper Single w/lightweight steel flywheel for no other reason than it was listed on the Kohr website as "Our go to clutch for all things Coyote", so I figured it must be plenty good enough for me.
The blower motor would pull anything but this stock-ish Coyote isn't going to have the umph so I went with what was suggested by the pro's. I haven't weighed anything yet, but it's probably similar in mass with perhaps a tad smaller moment of inertia so I'm hoping it is a net benefit....but who knows. Definitely an impulse buy on my part. Sometimes that happens.

Main reason for asking was to try and put some numbers on the expected change in acceleration. Engineer geek trying to put numbers to something I already know will be an improvement. (overthinking!)
Application is Boss motor with headers/tune used for AutoX.
I am leaning towards the Excedy Hyper Single. Maybe the Spec w/ aluminum flywheel. Based on comments in other threads, doesn't seem like I can go wrong with either choice.
Thanks for the comments.

dunno the answer to this but did a 7.25" dual disk on an aluminum flywheel in my prior car and man did that make it fun. I didn't do it for the power it would hold, just for the quick revving. Loved it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Main reason for asking was to try and put some numbers on the expected change in acceleration. Engineer geek trying to put numbers to something I already know will be an improvement. (overthinking!)
I am leaning towards the Excedy Hyper Single. Maybe the Spec w/ aluminum flywheel. Based on comments in other threads, doesn't seem like I can go wrong with either choice.
Thanks for the comments.

Exedy talks about the benefits of lower inertia in this link. There’s a pretty general comparison in the upper right graph, but not much detail. At least appears that they’ve measured and compared, so perhaps they could provide more detail if you ask.

http://www.exedy-racing.com/racing/en/pro/hy_single.html

I can vouch for the Hyper-Single. There’s very few V8’s that rev like these coyotes, and it takes a very good clutch to be consistent over 7k. The simplicity of a single disc and strap plate make for a very quiet, efficient clutch.

Thanks for the comments.
I had the exedy hyper singl with the matching flywheel and hated it. That is for track only. I recommend the exedystage 4
single disk. The aluminum flywheel is for track only use also. Try a lighted billet steel flywheel. You’ll get much better off the line starts.

sfo
I'm a roadcourse racer. Once I saw a grenaded flywheel from club racing. It was scary the forces there and how the sheet metal gets ripped like foil. After that I only used the SFI certified wheels eventhough ment for drag racers.

TMO Supporting Vendors