The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Install Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
Hey Guys, had a shop install an Exedy Hyper single, new slave, pilot bearing, high rpm pulse ring, and JPC clutch line recently.

It’s incredibly difficult getting into first or reverse from a stop and there is some metal in the clutch reservoir (divorced from the brake reservoir.) The shop actually installed all of this and we had the first and reverse problem so he had me order another new pilot bearing and slave but that didn’t seem to work. The actual clutch master is still the OEM but it worked fine before. Could this be the JPC clutch line not supplying enough fluid to the slave?? Want to tap into all the knowledge here before I bring it to another shop.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
You said there was metal in your divorced reservoir, could this have come from your new SS clutch line? Was there enough metal particulate to impede the fluid flow?

Try a complete hydraulic flush & bleed. Good luck in sorting this out.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
You said there was metal in your divorced reservoir, could this have come from your new SS clutch line? Was there enough metal particulate to impede the fluid flow?

Try a complete hydraulic flush & bleed. Good luck in sorting this out.
Trying to figure out if it’s from the new SS line. Seems likely since I’m on the second new slave cylinder and same issue with first and reverse and metal. The shavings are extremely small and not at all voluminous so I don’t think it’s blocking anything.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Could it be the clutch is not completely disengaging? There are a few threads talking about shimming the slave cylinder, and possibly using the GT500 slave instead.

@ArizonaBOSS mentioned using a spacer from Kohr Motorsports and the GT500 slave, but it's with a Tremec, so not sure if the MT-82 would be the same.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
Could it be the clutch is not completely disengaging? There are a few threads talking about shimming the slave cylinder, and possibly using the GT500 slave instead.

@ArizonaBOSS mentioned using a spacer from Kohr Motorsports and the GT500 slave, but it's with a Tremec, so not sure if the MT-82 would be the same.
Definitely a disengagement issue since first and reverse are near impossible stopped. I bought the clutch from Kohr and called them about the issue and they thought it was not fully bled. The shop used a mityvac after so I’m at a loss here.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The MT82 had a spacer from the factory, at least in the early years. I think it was integrated to the transmission body by MY13. But maybe something like that? Or the TOB blew up?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
The MT82 had a spacer from the factory, at least in the early years. I think it was integrated to the transmission body by MY13. But maybe something like that? Or the TOB blew up?
Could be. I have a ‘14 but it seems like a shim might still be needed. Doesn’t really explain the metal shavings though unless the TOB failed on both new slave cylinders somehow.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
NJ
Car returned to me with the same issue. I need to find a reliable shop to help me with this bc I don’t have a lift. I’m in northern NJ. Anyone have any suggestions?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
You need to vacuum bleed the reservoir/master/slave cylinders for the clutch system. Just pumping won't always get it. The new line volume can hold a lot of air. Check with the shop and ask if they vacuum bled it. A hand held vacuum pump (Mighty Vac) and a rubber stopper with a hole in the center to pass a tub through will do the job. Sorry just saw you asked the shop already. A shim maybe required for the Hypersingle, @captdistraction know a lot about this topic.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The case was slightly longer on the MT-82's in the 2011 and early 2012 Mustangs which required a spacer under the slave cylinder. The casting length was changed part way through the 2012 model year which eliminated the need for the spacer. Since the OP has a 2014 this shouldn't be the issue. An aftermarket clutch and flywheel may require shimming depending on the height of the steel fingers. Measure the height of the fingers of both clutches while torqued to the flywheel. If the new clutch fingers are lower than factory and shim the difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel