The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have noticed on my vehicle that when I press the clutch I hear two loud popping noises before I change gears. It has been getting louder and at times I feel that I have some resistance when changing gears as well. Almost feels like I am hitting metal. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow but wondering if anyone knows what this may be.

Is the clutch hanging up at all or shuddering when you start out in 1st gear? I wonder if you have the same issue I had when my clutch plate lost a spring. Definitely does not sound good. Hope you make it in without a flatbed.

cloud9 said:
Is the clutch hanging up at all or shuddering when you start out in 1st gear? I wonder if you have the same issue I had when my clutch plate lost a spring. Definitely does not sound good. Hope you make it in without a flatbed.

I don't feel it hanging up at all but it has shuttered a couple times.

knappj69 said:
cloud9 said:

I don't feel it hanging up at all but it has shuttered a couple times.
Is the shudder when you're starting in first, but after you're moving it's fine? That was the first symptom when mine went out. Let us know what they find at the dealer.

Is the shudder when you're starting in first, but after you're moving it's fine? That was the first symptom when mine went out. Let us know what they find at the dealer.
[/quote]

The shuttering happened when I started and was fine after. The main issue I am having is the loud two clicks when I press the clutch before I shift.

Hmmm... sometimes when I step on my clutch I hear some 'clunk' sound as well, especially when I come home rolling stop/go over the traffic bumps. I didn't think this was a concern but from reading this it might be? Are we never supposed to hear a thing when engaging/disengaging clutch?

TheMarco said:
Hmmm... sometimes when I step on my clutch I hear some 'clunk' sound as well, especially when I come home rolling stop/go over the traffic bumps. I didn't think this was a concern but from reading this it might be? Are we never supposed to hear a thing when engaging/disengaging clutch?
That just sounds like normal engaging/disengaging the driveline.

cloud9 said:
TheMarco said:
That just sounds like normal engaging/disengaging the driveline.

Yeah I thought so too, just wanted to make sure. No shuddering or any other weirdness for me anyway.

knappj69 said:

The shuttering happened when I started and was fine after. The main issue I am having is the loud two clicks when I press the clutch before I shift.
[/quote]
I wonder if one of those springs is catching on the flywheel? I'm assuming that's how the spring was eventually ripped out of the face of mine since it looked like it was catching on something. I'll be real interested to see what they find. You might want to print out a picture of my clutch plate for them to review when you bring it in since they would have to pull the clutch out to find it. They're not going to do that unless they're pretty sure you have a problem. Sometimes these things are hard to replicate when you go to the dealer. Then you just have to wait until if fails, which could be problematic if you're in the middle of nowhere ;D

027wa.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2011-09-21

022jn.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2011-09-21

Come to think of it, it's not on the flywheel side. Here's a pic of the spring jammed in the pressure plate. I ended up not even being able to get the car out of gear. It's on the transmission side where it hit something I think.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cloud9 said:
Come to think of it, it's not on the flywheel side. Here's a pic of the spring jammed in the pressure plate. I ended up not even being able to get the car out of gear. It's on the transmission side where it hit something I think.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks. I will show them this. When I drop off the car I will ask if someone can ride with me so I know they hear what I am talking about.

Well the service department told me the noise was normal. I said so it is normal for people to hear my car change gears and he had no explanation. Guess I will find another dealer to take a look at it.

BLAZN BOSS

knappj69 said:
Well the service department told me the noise was normal. I said so it is normal for people to hear my car change gears and he had no explanation. Guess I will find another dealer to take a look at it.
Have him call the area service rep while your there..........you will see a change of attitude.

TMO Supporting Vendors