The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch pedal failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just returned from Willow Springs and experienced what I am calling clutch pedal fade away. The pedal would starts to develop a low release point and then eventually sticks to the floor. This would happen about 10 to 15 minutes into a 20 minute session and got worse as the day went on. If I let the car cool for an hour the pedal feel would improve but wouldn’t last long. It seems to me that the hydraulic fluid in the throw out bearing is boiling. I don’t have a transmission scoop yet but I’m considering it if it can truly help reduce the heat. Has anyone solved this problem with a scoop? The air temperature was in the mid 80’s but I’ve had the same problem on other track days when the temperature was cooler. I have a separate clutch fluid reservoir with dot 4 fluid. Also this time my pedal pressure seems to have lighten up by about 25% and hasn’t returned to my normal pedal feel although the car still shifts fine in normal street driving. Has anyone experienced anything similar, please let me know if you found a fix.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Pretty sure that's the typical upper RPM problem with the OEM Boss clutches. An aftermarket clutch is the only 'proven' fix.

Removing the assist spring in the pedal assembly might help a bit, since it contributes to the pedal sticking.

Flushing the hydraulic side and a vacuum bleed might also help some.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
Did you just get the car or you've had the car for a while and it just started doing that? Did it only start doing that after the clutch fluid reservoir install?

I don't have a separate reservoir and have always used DOT4. Never had fade issues with the clutch, although I've heard of plenty of people who have (including one local '13). The problem went away after he switched to DOT4. Not all DOT4's are created equally so check what the boiling point of the one you are using is.

With that said, mine started acting similarly at one track day and the slave cylinder went shortly after so if you've had the car for a while and nothing has changed but it just started doing that, you might be due for a new slave cylinder (and clutch).

Did you just get the car or you've had the car for a while and it just started doing that? Did it only start doing that after the clutch fluid reservoir install?

I don't have a separate reservoir and have always used DOT4. Never had fade issues with the clutch, although I've heard of plenty of people who have (including one local '13). The problem went away after he switched to DOT4. Not all DOT4's are created equally so check what the boiling point of the one you are using is.

With that said, mine started acting similarly at one track day and the slave cylinder went shortly after so if you've had the car for a while and nothing has changed but it just started doing that, you might be due for a new slave cylinder (and clutch).
I’ve had the car since January 2013 and have had this same problem, although to a lesser degree, since I started tracking it three years ago. With the change in pedal feel a close look at the slave cylinder is in order. There is no loss of fluid in the reservoir so maybe an internal seal leak could account for the loss of pedal pressure.

Pretty sure that's the typical upper RPM problem with the OEM Boss clutches. An aftermarket clutch is the only 'proven' fix.
This. Nothing else is going to fix the clutch sticking to the floor.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel