The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch pedal going to floor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recently my 13 boss started to gain pedal travel on each shift at high RPM's. On the 1-2 shift, I end up with about an inch of slop at the top of the pedal, 2-3 shift leaves 2 -3 inches of slop, 3-4 shift isn't happening at all. Stop the car, let it sit 30 seconds or so, it is back where started. I figured P.P sticking because it only does it at 7000 or so, but I thought the slave may cause this problem if it thought I was stepping on it too fast and fluid was getting around the piston seal, but I have no fluid loss. Car is going into the dealer for a tranny rebuild next week, so I ant to get the clutch fixed while it's there. Any tips would be helpful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Have them put an after market clutch and flywheel in the car while the trans is out. McLeod RST and RXT are probably the most common. I did the same with mine while it was at the dealer and they just charged me $250 for the clutch swap.

This is a common problem with bosses. It's the clutch pressure plate. New clutch that is not OEM is the fix. ACE manufacturing powerforce has a really cool design. While the whole deal cost $300 more than thee RXT, it has sprung hubs and a rigid aluminum pressure plate. The same clutch is sold as the rebranded Hays "Dragon" claw. Can be rebuilt and does not require a break in process. I'm eying this right now. I'm going to be talking to the company when I go out to SEMA next month. I'll make a decision on which clutch I'm going to get and resolve all of my clutch issues once and for all.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
BigTaco said:
This is a common problem with bosses. It's the clutch pressure plate. New clutch that is not OEM is the fix. ACE manufacturing powerforce has a really cool design. While the whole deal cost $300 more than thee RXT, it has sprung hubs and a rigid aluminum pressure plate. The same clutch is sold as the rebranded Hays "Dragon" claw. Can be rebuilt and does not require a break in process. I'm eying this right now. I'm going to be talking to the company when I go out to SEMA next month. I'll make a decision on which clutch I'm going to get and resolve all of my clutch issues once and for all.

This clutch assembly is the Best Kept Secret in the industry. It also the rebranded clutch assembly for Shelby American.

This clutch also has a very unique feature that multiplies the pressure plate force with higher RPM's. Works with centrifical force levers.

Plus this is the only 100% made in the USA clutch manufacturers still in existence today. Ace even makes their own clutch disc face compounds in house.

This is a Race Clutch that is street friendly. The engagement point is a bit high on the pedal, but it is not an On-Off switch so to speak as you do have some room to modulate the clutch engagement. It is made to very high manufacturing standards and yes, the primary clutch disc hub is sprung to reduce drive line shock.

It's worth a look,
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
This clutch assembly is the Best Kept Secret in the industry. It also the rebranded clutch assembly for Shelby American.

This clutch also has a very unique feature that multiplies the pressure plate force with higher RPM's. Works with centrifical force levers.

Plus this is the only 100% made in the USA clutch manufacturers still in existence today. Ace even makes their own clutch disc face compounds in house.

This is a Race Clutch that is street friendly. The engagement point is a bit high on the pedal, but it is not an On-Off switch so to speak as you do have some room to modulate the clutch engagement. It is made to very high manufacturing standards and yes, the primary clutch disc hub is sprung to reduce drive line shock.

It's worth a look,
302 Hi Pro

You have this installed?

I ended up putting a RAM power grip in while the trans was out. My guys threw it in for nothing and I even had problems that held them up for a day. The first clutch I bought wasn't close, so I got hold of the vendor and got the RAM sent over, supposed to be boss specific, it didn't fit. Come to find out, the flywheel has 9 bolt holes holding the P.P on and nobody makes a clutch to fit, you need to replace the flywheel also. I guess this was a mid year change and not all of them are like this.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
BigTaco said:
You have this installed?

BT:

Sorry for the delay as I just noticed this. No, not installed but this will be my clutch of choice when the time comes. I chatted with Darryl back in 2014. 100% USA, and ACE even makes their own clutch disc material. Ace supplies Shelby with branded twin clutch series clutch kits with a custom Shelby spec disc material, (aka Ace PowerForce.)

Have you tried this clutch in a mustang? The release point is reported at about 3/4 high side.

2HP

I have not tried this in a Mustang or any car for that matter. What were your impressions compared to stock?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
BigTaco said:
I have not tried this in a Mustang or any car for that matter. What were your impressions compared to stock?

This is a clutch that you can beat on once broke-in. It is a race clutch that increases pressure plate clamp force with high rpm's. It is very streetable with little chatter. Enguagement is higher than stock, but not an "on-off" switch. Very nice, and if your into speed shifting, you only need to stab the clutch pedal.

Are you thinking about buying one?

ACE offers many NHRA/IHRA race clutches, a great company to do business with. IMO.
As Always,
Dave
2HP

BigTaco said:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hay-96-201/applications

Kind of pricey......

Tim

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BigTaco said:
That's not much more than any other dual clutch on the market....

Agreed; and that certainly looks the part for a race-ready twin disc. Going to be less expensive than an Exedy Twin, for sure.

On the downside, not competition-proven (yet?) like the Exedy.

I may consider Exedy Hyper-Single or Tilton options (assuming Maximum Motorsports gets the MT82 version out again) when it comes time to do the clutch again (hopefully at least another two years out).

American muscle got the Exedy Hyper twin for ~1400$ and with a forum discount you can even get it cheaper.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-hyper-clutch-flywheel-1114gt.html

That's the one I put in last summer when my trans took a crap. I was going to do the Tilton but apparently some parts are discontinued.

Swiss Boss said:
American muscle got the Exedy Hyper twin for ~1400$ and with a forum discount you can even get it cheaper.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-hyper-clutch-flywheel-1114gt.html

That's the one I put in last summer when my trans took a crap. I was going to do the Tilton but apparently some parts are discontinued.

Can you give your impressions of how its been going with this clutch?

BigTaco said:
Can you give your impressions of how its been going with this clutch?

It's a bit a on-off switch. Driving it on the street is fine but if you get stuck in stop&go traffic you will hate it.

On the track, it's been awesome. It's crisp and no more high rpm lockout and my rev limiter is at 8000rpm.
I do have a trans rebuilt by Ben Calimer and a MGW race spec and it's the best setup I've driven so far.

The only other clutch I would consider beside the Tilton, is the QuarterMaster that Cortex is selling but it's too much $$

TMO Supporting Vendors