The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch pedal sticking and Ford's response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBoss

TrackAttack 9-23-13
In July at a track event I experienced the first episode of the pedal not coming all the way back up after sustained high RPM shifting. I informed the dealer service department immediately, and based on the number of other owners having the same problem, expected Ford to have a solution.

It's now six months later and I've made dozens of calls to the local service manager and Ford corporate customer service. I've had 4 different service managers promising everything from a software fix to "possible" hydraulic system and/or pressure plate replacement. I left the car at the dealer for over a week to investigate the problem over Thanksgiving, and they gave it back to me with the following excuse:

"We can't replicate your problem because we can't exceed the posted speed limits on public highways, therefore we can't fix anything."

Of course I told the service writer and all the corporate folks that this problem is only encountered during high RPM use. Thus the Catch-22 scenario: They can't (or won't) run the car to the conditions where the failure occurs, therefore no problem exists. The last corporate guy acknowledged that I'm not exceeding the normal use indications for a car advertised as "track ready", but still won't authorize a repair.

I'm really curious to know if any of you with similar failures have had any success with Ford service, either at a local or corporate level. What have they done, and what did you do to convince them to take action?

The only known remedy guaranteed to fix the pedal sticking is to remove the helper spring. There are no other solutions and Ford has nothing in the pipeline that will fix it.

Most dealers know that these cars are taken to the track, and Ford encourages it, and that should not impact their decision to fix your car.

Read through this:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2934.0

That's a long thread. Just follow this video. It takes care of that silly little issue.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/results?q=mustang%20clutch%20spring&sm=3#/watch?v=iy7MOEuYVj4[/youtube]

I removed the helper spring after the Ford FSE who looked at my car said the factory engineer at the Flat Rock plant told him that that was the only fix Ford was aware of for the clutch issues. I was concerned about a big increase in pedal pressure as the result of removing the spring. After removing the spring, I wish I had done so long ago. Pedal effort is not significantly increased IMO, the pedal is more linear in feel, and the clutch is easier to modulate. I drive my car every day, mostly in town, so I use the clutch a lot, and the lack of the helper spring has been no issue.

Now if Ford would just fix the ^&%ing lockout issue at higher RPMs! I understand the clutch has been redesigned for the 2015 Mustang. Since the 6 speed transmission is supposedly the same, as is the 5.0, maybe they could update our cars with this new clutch?

athens7 said:
Now if Ford would just fix the ^&%ing lockout issue at higher RPMs! I understand the clutch has been redesigned for the 2015 Mustang. Since the 6 speed transmission is supposedly the same, as is the 5.0, maybe they could update our cars with this new clutch?

Or just buy an after market now and not pay OEM prices and wait a year or so.

We replaced our clutch line with a McCleod Braided High Performance High Volume clutch line and have not had the clutch sticking in high rpm shifts.
$70 well spent.

Deerslayer said:
We replaced our clutch line with a McCleod Braided High Performance High Volume clutch line and have not had the clutch sticking in high rpm shifts.
$70 well spent.
Wait it will happen again. The line is not the problem nor the fix.

OLOA the only thing that fixed my pedal from sticking AFTER I installed my RXT was removing the spring. There's a design flaw in there somewhere.

TMO Supporting Vendors