The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Pedal Stop. Please watch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFA4PGaJ_3g

Has anyone ever done this? It makes sense after watching the video. What he does is attach a bolt to the clutch arm that allows you to adjust your clutch travel. There are other ways to tackle this as I think that bolt would eventually wear a hole in the carpet. Maybe welding a large washer or a small circular piece of steel to the end to act like shoring and protect the carpet and floor board. Let me know what you think of the video.

Adam

Interesting and an inexpensive mod. Thanks for posting.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
You would imagine that the clutch master and slave are designed to provide the "apropriate" amount of travel to not over actuate the pressure plate !
But I guess that is not always the case !
is there an inspection plate where you could see what is going on well enough to know if it's is being accurately engaged ?
Is their any adjustment on the slave mechanism to adjust the travel ?
Maybe when some have had the clutch replaced its been adjusted "properly" and that's why it works better after ?

Don
"armchair mechanic"

I'm not sure if this applies to our cars. To date i have never heard of anyone over streesing the clutch fingers under normal conditions. This seems more directed towards the manual type of clutch fork/TO Bearing.
just a thought.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
DEye said:
1. You would imagine that the clutch master and slave are designed to provide the "apropriate" amount of travel to not over actuate the pressure plate !
But I guess that is not always the case !

2. is there an inspection plate where you could see what is going on well enough to know if it's is being accurately engaged ?

3. Is their any adjustment on the slave mechanism to adjust the travel ?

4. Maybe when some have had the clutch replaced its been adjusted "properly" and that's why it works better after ?

Don
"armchair mechanic"

Good questions,

1. Yes the OEM clutch assemblies do have the correct T/O Bearing travel and on the MT82 equipped cars, there is no provisions to adjust.

2. No, the MT82 has no inspection plate. In fact the bell housing is cast into the transmission case. There is a spacer/cover plate, but it is not removeable until the transmission is removed. But again no inspection is possible with or without it.

3. No, the Slave and T/O Bearing is a 1 piece unit. It fits over the trans input shaft and bolts to the inner trans case.

4. I think it has mostly to do with improved Pressure Plates that work better at high RPM's. Most aftermarket companies build replacement clutch assemblies to work within the OEM space and tolerances.

Notes: There is one company that I know of that makes an adjustable Slave-T/O Bearing for our application and it is expensive, but it is also a premium part. If you look at the clutch Assy in the video, you can see that it is an expensive twin unit with what looks like a billet PP cover. Last, whenever you install a non OEM clutch, you should always measure the PP finger to T/O bearing engagement clearance. It is most important that the T/O bearing does NOT contact, (or ride on), the PP fingers until the clutch is engaged. There should be 1/8" to 3/8" clearance.

This clutch pedal stop idea would work best with Race clutch assemblies that have a very high pedal engagement as they do not require a full clutch pedal travel to disengage the clutch disc. Some only require a half pedal effort to disengage the clutch disc to allow successful shifts.

Hope you can envision the difference of the high pedal engagement race clutch, it's also discribed by some as a clutch with an on and off switch. Good idea for some, but this is not applicable to our Boss 302's with OEM or aftermarket clutch replacement assemblies like the popular McLeod RST/RXT Twins.

302 Hi Pro
Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors