The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just had a McLeod RST win disc 800 HP clutch with an aluminum flywheel installed. When I first picked up the car (by the way it’s a 2015 GT pp car) the clutch engagement was very short and basically on the floor I now have about 150 miles on it and now the clutch engagement is very long and the release point to take off is basically all the way up to dashboard now. Any suggestions on possibly would make that drastic of a change?
thanks for the help.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
There really isn't a way to adjust the engagement point of the hydraulic clutch. You could install a pedal stop so the pedal only pushes a little beyond the point of disengagement. This way you aren't pushing it all the way to the floor each time and it will engage just off of the stop.

You can stiffen the feel by removing the clutch assist spring or replacing it with a weaker spring so it doesn't give as much help.

OP - if I am reading your post correctly, the clutch engagement point is right at the top of the pedal travel, right? Instead of closer to the floor? If that is correct, then yes I experienced the same with my RST and that seems to be a common situation with the RSTs and is completely normal. It was annoying around town so I had a Maximum Motorsports pedal stop installed and that made life a lot easier.

OP - if I am reading your post correctly, the clutch engagement point is right at the top of the pedal travel, right? Instead of closer to the floor? If that is correct, then yes I experienced the same with my RST and that seems to be a common situation with the RSTs and is completely normal. It was annoying around town so I had a Maximum Motorsports pedal stop installed and that made life a lot easier.

You are exactly right in your interpretation. Do it change anymore as it kept breaking in? Also should I wait until full break in to add the pedal stop or even the spring assist option?

I do not recall the pedal feel changing at all but my mechanic took the car around the block before handing it over to me so maybe those first few engagements felt different? The RSTs definitely have a lighter than stock pedal feel. Going to a twin disk plus a lightweight flywheel makes the driving experience feel a whole lot different than stock and what you are describing so far doesn't seem abnormal for the RST.

And I am not sure you would need to wait to install the pedal stop. Sounds like the clutch is behaving like RSTs are supposed to (there are forum posts about RSTs and RXTs on this forum and others that will confirm this).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I added the clutch pedal stop with my RST also. With an autoblip the stop is needed. A high engagement point with the need to hit the pedal stop, to make contact on the stock clutch pedal switch was “Fun”. The stop brought the bottom up and made pedal action work the switch.

Last edited:
I do not recall the pedal feel changing at all but my mechanic took the car around the block before handing it over to me so maybe those first few engagements felt different? The RSTs definitely have a lighter than stock pedal feel. Going to a twin disk plus a lightweight flywheel makes the driving experience feel a whole lot different than stock and what you are describing so far doesn't seem abnormal for the RST.

And I am not sure you would need to wait to install the pedal stop. Sounds like the clutch is behaving like RSTs are supposed to (there are forum posts about RSTs and RXTs on this forum and others that will confirm this).
Thank you for info appreciate it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
OP has an S550. The Maximum Motorsports pedal stop fits the S197's. I am not sure if anyone makes a pedal stop for the S550 cars, since I have never had a reason to look.

Ah yes whoops! I never compared the pedal setup on my now-departed Boss with my 350R so I have no idea if that MM stop could be used or modified to be used on the S550.

OP - maybe check with MM for advice.

TMO Supporting Vendors