The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wanted to see what everyone is running for clutch setups and what throw out bearing they are using.

A bit of history, I put in the magnum XL and McLeod RXT twin disc a few years ago. I fought issues with the clutch not disengaging at times and went through 2 throw out bearings in the first year, before McLeod replaced the unit. Since then it has worked pretty good until it went out last month.

Upon pulling everything apart this time, I found and issue with the bottom plate and the throw out bearing fell part too. So not trying to decide if I should stay with McLeod or go a different route. I have been using stock throw out bearings as I was told they would work.

I have needed to pull the transmission out for a few years as I have had issues with it while cruising. On track no issues, but when cruising at times it does not want to go from 5th to 4th it will grind, or other times cruising in 4th gear it will pop out. So working getting that repaired too.IMG-0118.jpgIMG-0120.jpgIMG-0124.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have been very happy with my Spec 2+ clutch... its been about three plus years and countless races, still has meat left on it and its also very affordable. Throw out bearings have been fine but I generally change them with each tranny swap... Lol..Stock MT82's last much less then the Spec clutch...

drano38

Wayne
Exedy Hyper Single has become popular also. I have it with the stock tranny. High pedal engagement has been hard to adapt to on the street.
Good luck on the decision and install.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Just wanted to see what everyone is running for clutch setups and what throw out bearing they are using....

I had a Spec 3 once. I hated it. Worst clutch I ever owned, noisy, chattery, grabby, horrible in city traffic. I have no experience with Spec 2s. I've had several Exedys, all were very good. I have a Mach 500 26 spline for sale, like new, in case you're interested. It will have a slightly higher pedal effort and higher torque rating than stock, but it drives like stock otherwise, works fine with a normal stock throwout bearing, no shims needed, mid stroke engagement point, not super high or on the floor.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/north-lake-ford-mustang-exedy-clutch-26/6999952357.html

drano38

Wayne
drano38 - consider getting the Maximum Motorsports clutch pedal stop. Such a minor addition has made my car sooooo much easier to drive around town because the RST has a high engagement point like your Exedy.

Thanks, I've been following that post as well. Agree, need to get one. I guess it will be my "winter upgrade" project. Wish it could be installed w/o removing the brake reservoir clutch lines.

I would suggest a single disc clutch like the Exedy Hyper single, my GT500 has the Spec version of that clutch (an Exedy wasn't available) and it has been bullet proof. I've seen so many problem with multi disc clutches that I wouldn't go near them unless you maybe had a blown drag car application. The stock Ford multi disc in my Gt500 only went 24K miles.
With regards to the throwout bearings, Phoenix has used the stock Ford one for the most part without any issues (the VIR race a couple of years ago may have been one but not even positive about that) I know they've experimented with other T/O bearings..(I think Quatermaster? ) but not absolutely sure where all of that ended up. For you, the stocker should be fine.

I would suggest a single disc clutch like the Exedy Hyper single, my GT500 has the Spec version of that clutch (an Exedy wasn't available) and it has been bullet proof. I've seen so many problem with multi disc clutches that I wouldn't go near them unless you maybe had a blown drag car application. The stock Ford multi disc in my Gt500 only went 24K miles.
With regards to the throwout bearings, Phoenix has used the stock Ford one for the most part without any issues (the VIR race a couple of years ago may have been one but not even positive about that) I know they've experimented with other T/O bearings..(I think Quatermaster? ) but not absolutely sure where all of that ended up. For you, the stocker should be fine.

I have been leaning to go this way and may do so. Shipping the transmission off to D&D in Michigan tomorrow.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Reviving this since I'm starting to seriously consider a new clutch.
I like what I'm hearing about the Spec 2+ for a combination of track work, hard twisty road drives, and the occasional sunset cruises up and down the PCH.
Hyper Single sounds a little aggressive since I do a decent amount of street driving, plus I would like to support an American business right now.
Any other recommendations? Mach 600? ACT? I want to stay away from organic.
Thoughts on Steel vs aluminum flywheel? Aluminum has the obvious rotational advantage, has anyone had any issues with aluminum?
What about disk vs puck style? Not sure I need the additional clamping pressure of puck for my stock engine.
Planning to go with a Ford ToB as well.
Anything else I should consider?
Thanks in advance!

I worked with D&D performance out of Michigan that rebuilt my magnum XL and he talked highly of RAM. I ended up installing a Ram powergrip. Can't speak to it much as only have put on about 30 miles so far. I will say it grabs hard, not much slip compared to the McLeod RXT that I had in previously.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I really liked my Spec 2+, Replacing it now with with a Spec 3 out of abundance of caution, The old one still looks good even after four seasons. Not to mention I got the Spec 3 for about $350, made it an easy choice.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
SPEC 2+ is a good option. Mine performs flawlessly. I went with the lightweight steel flywheel as I heard the aluminum is noisy and at the tyme, my car had shared duty with the street and track.

TMO Supporting Vendors