The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch replaced under warranty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
LikeABauce302 said:
The stock clutch is garbage. I'd rather just replace it with a better aftermarket clutch when my clutch fails or wears out.

It will fail before it wears out. If you track your car improve the shift linkage with MGW/Blowfish and change the clutch for any of the quality race grade clutches out there. For the street and occasional canyon runs stock will probably last as long as the car.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Mine was replaced under warranty. Everything including flywheel and hardware. Mileage was about 4,500 miles and 18 months or so after delivery date. The clutch was noisy, made clunk noises. The replacement clutch is much better than original. It is a Boss specific clutch, dealer used VIN to order correct part.

Took a while for parts, back ordered but well worth it and the Tech installed the FRPP Stainless Steel Line at same time. Cost for part was $192 USD, I supplied the line. No additional labor charges, I have a good tech.

Good luck with yours,
Dave

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
YellowJacketBoss302 said:
The clutch has failed and I am getting a SPEC. I'm hoping maybe the labor will be covered.

Spec is a very good unit, very high machining tolerances and well balanced for high RPM environments. Which Stage Spec set up, and which flywheel did you go with?

Dave

Stage 1 and aluminum flywheel. Supposed to be good to 550 ft lbs. They are a good company to deal with.

Service writer says clutch is under warranty for 12 months and 12 K miles. I was hoping BOSSes would have longer coverage. I am way beyond that.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Stage 1 and aluminum flywheel. Supposed to be good to 550 ft lbs. They are a good company to deal with.

Service writer says clutch is under warranty for 12 months and 12 K miles. I was hoping BOSSes would have longer coverage. I am way beyond that.
e

Where did you order the spec clutch from?

The clutch has failed and I am getting a SPEC. I'm hoping maybe the labor will be covered.
Push this with them, they've done it before. Send me a PM if you need more info.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Yes, I too know of one other replaced after the 12/12, but they also consider the cause of failure as well. It will be harder to get coverage if the disc is toast, each dealer is different. You'll need a good dealer that will go to the plate for you, and if necessary even offer to use some of their descressionary warranty or CSI funds.

IMO If there is a split of cost, FoMoCo will always prefer to provide the parts, and have the customer pay for labor.

What was the cause of failure on your clutch assembly and what is the mileage and age of your Boss 302?

2HP

Thanks. Car has 3 years 4 months and about 20k miles. One or more springs have broken out of the disc -- similar to pictures others have posted. Disc does not seem to be worn down. I track the car a lot (thousands of miles). The dealer knows it and has been good about other warranty issues (eg transmission rebuild).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel